yellow tang thing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jester

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have had my yellow tang for about 3 weeks he now has a big clump looking white thing on the front of his top fin it looks like a big peace of mysis shrimp is stuck there but it has been there for 5 days i will try to get a pic what could this be thanks

It's lymphocystis. It is a viral infection that is contagious by touch to your other fish. The fish should be removed to quarantine, the cyst removed, as necessary, and allow the fishes immune system to fight it off.

I found a great article here on how to perfoum the surgery i will give it a shot as soon as i can catch him thanks

Unless a threat to the fish's life... ie gills or mouth, it is not recommended to cut the affliction off. It can sometimes do much more harm than good and will often clear up on it's own with good water quality and a vitamin enriched diet.

Cheers
Steve

as you can see it was just at the top of his fin fo i pulled it off and put some melflex on it should i treat the water with melflex or just give him time I dont have any coral just fish shrimp and snails and hermit crabs so can i treat him in there or should i put him in the Q tank he is a bitch to catch well thanks i will keep you guys updated

Melafix is fine for the display tank and may help stave off infection. Be watchful for secondary infection though as it can result from something like this and would then need to be treated in the QT.

Cheers
Steve

well thanks for the help guys i just pulled it off and scraped it a little used the melafix and he is looking great thanks it really scared me its my girls favorite fish and i would have been in the dog house if he did not make it thanks again

well i spoke to soon today I noticed it is back just a lil bit and also a little bit more down his fin i am going to pull i off again and put him in the Q tank I hope he is ok

Back
Top Bottom