Yellow Tang with Hippo Tang?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brennan32

Aquarium Advice Activist
So i bought a yellow tang around 3 weeks ago and i will be going back to my lfs soon and would like to pick up a hippo tang. I have heard that these fish will fight but i have heard that they won't. So i need some help if you have any experience in this i would appreciate the help!

Tank Specs:

-155 Gallon Bow-Front aquarium.

-200lbs of live rock.

Temp 77.6

SG 1.024 (getting corals very soon)

- tank mates the hippo tang would have. Clownfish,Coral beauty,chocolate chip starfish(getting rid of it ) ,skunk shrimp,emerald crab,hermits,yellow tang (obviously)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It all depends on the temperament of your yellow some are laid back others can be agressive if you get a hippo that's bigger it will lessen the chances of issues :)

I have a scopas tang and he wont allow any new fish with out a fight , if anything looks the slightest like him watch out ,

Ok my yellow tang seems to be peaceful he will let the skunk shrimp clean parasites off him and he always follows my other two fish in fact they are always right next to each other swimming like a trio of best friends

The key to multiple tangs is that they can't look similar. Then tie in the temperament of the fish can make it iffy depending on if it's a mean bugger or not b

I`m pretty fortunate as my three tangs are best buds

6218-albums6891-picture31662.jpg

Ok so i might as well and try hippo and the yellow together then.

At the beginning I would say there is going to be some scrapping going on. Move the rock around and turn out the lights for a few hours if you have to. They will war at the beginning to figure out the pecking order and then things should be ok.

At the beginning I would say there is going to be some scrapping going on. Move the rock around and turn out the lights for a few hours if you have to. They will war at the beginning to figure out the pecking order and then things should be ok.

Thank you i will be sure to do this if i get a hippo tang

Back
Top Bottom