You guys can help me choose my fish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChosenOne

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well I'm ready for fish!

It's a 46 gallon bowfront.
30lbs of base rock.
30lbs of liverock.
60lbs of sand.
Lighting is PC 192 watts. And all water checks out O.K. Live rock has been in almost 2 weeks.

My list so far of what I want to keep. You guys can add or take away what fits and lives together well.
1xroyal gramma
1xlawnmower blenny
2xClownfish
5xblue damsels
1xscarlet skunk cleaner shrimp
10xBlue leg hermit crab
10xDwarf Zebra Hermit Crab
8xScarlet Reef Hermit Crab (too many hermits?)
15xMargarita Snails
10xCerith Snails

Would I be able to keep everything above? There would be about 9 fish. 1 cleaner shrimp. 28 hermit crabs. And about 25 snails. Too much. Too little? Could I add any more?

Skip the damsels. Especialy 5 of them.

What species of clownfish? Size varies a lot between species :)

So far it's a toss up between the true perculas or the false perculas. So it's not possible to put hermits and snails together? What would you adjust or add to list now since the damsel idea is no good? I don't want the tank to be too empty and that was the only reason for the damsels. So tossing them out is no biggie.

ChosenOne said:
So far it's a toss up between the true perculas or the false perculas. So it's not possible to put hermits and snails together? What would you adjust or add to list now since the damsel idea is no good? I don't want the tank to be too empty and that was the only reason for the damsels. So tossing them out is no biggie.

True or false percs would be fine.

Hermits will kill snails for their shells. You can cut down on this by stocking the tank with empty shells. You will still lose some snails, but thats natural. My hermits coexist with my Turbos, Nassarius and Astreas just fine.

I'd vote for true mexican turbos if you can find them, instead of the margarita snails (which are cooler water snails).

If you wanted the schooling effect, a set of chromis would be nice. Or a dwarf angel (coral beauty, flame). Shrimp goby? Hawkfish? (may eat shrimp :-/)

Sounds good. I may venture into a soft corals and such later on. The Coral beauty and the rest of the fish O.K. with this? I heard the Coral beauty might eat it and cause some problems. I would be able to add these fish no problem in a 46 gallon?

Let's see.
5 or so chromis
1 coral beauty
2 clownfish
1 lawnmower blenny
1 royal gramma

Shoould I cut down on the number of snails or hermits? Or should I buy more?

That is going to be a pretty busy tank. I would cut the chromis back to three. Snails and hermits will be fine together, but as mentioned, provide the hermits with extra shells. They are very cheap at craft stores. If you decide to venture into corals then the coral beauty may present a bit of a problem. They are not considered reef-safe. SOme people do keep them in reefs but it is always a gamble. If you are truely thinking reef, look at the purple firefish as an alternative.

My thinking on the hermits and snails is this: That many clean up crew in such a small area may clean up TOO well. I find that my hermits go after my snails when there is not enough detritus/algae to sustain them.

Some corals are a definate down the road. So I'll scratch the Coral Beauty. I'm going hoodless, what are the chances that the firefish will actually jump out as I have read.

What about cutting the hermit crab crew in half?

Very good chance on the jumping.
If you go with your wish list you will be over stocking in a 46 IMO. They fish maybe small now but when they grow there won't be much room. I would stay with the last list minus the CB.
Stick with the scarlet and blue legged hermits and some snails, Crabs are fun to watch so IMO they are needed. If they knock off a few snails so be it.. They are well worth a few snails.

Back
Top Bottom