Zoas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ferny27

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok I spent over 500$ in zoas and I can't keep them alive of my life depends on it. It last only 3 weeks and then they close up and turn white. I put the lights on 50% only then I hear they like a lot of light. So what do I do. Please help. An all my water parameters are perfect !!!!!!

Here are pics

Attachments

• image-1207662373.jpg
    image-1207662373.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 151
Holy zoanthids batman.

We really need some more information to help you out.

What size tank is this?
What's the salinity?
How long has the tank been set up?
What exactly are your water parameters?
What are you using for flow?
What size tank is this?
What are your lights?

Mebbid said:
Holy zoanthids batman.

We really need some more information to help you out.

What size tank is this?
What's the salinity?
How long has the tank been set up?
What exactly are your water parameters?
What are you using for flow?
What size tank is this?
What are your lights?

I thought the $500 was a typo....

Yep 500$ is correct ...

I have a 150 gal
Salinity is .026
Nitrate is 0
Nitrite 0 amonia 0
I have led lights
2 power heads 1250 aquaian
Booster flows for my returns
I moved the zoas so many times and I don't know what to do

Do you see any white spots on the polyps?

"I have LEDs" is not very descriptive, sorry. Some LED fixtures marketed as "reef capable" are anything but. What fixture is it?

What lights were they under before you bought them? Did you order online?

KH?
pH?

And stop moving them. That just pisses them off more.

My recommendation is to start buying $10 zoa frags. Don't buy colonys watch them before out. If they die off you are not out much

Do you see any white spots on the polyps?

"I have LEDs" is not very descriptive, sorry. Some LED fixtures marketed as "reef capable" are anything but. What fixture is it?

What lights were they under before you bought them? Did you order online?

KH?
pH?

And stop moving them. That just pisses them off more.

What type of light were they under at the store? If they were under like T5's or mh there in led shock ( that's what i call it ) it meens that you have to dim your lights and slowly make them brighter

My recommendation is to start buying $10 zoa frags. Don't buy colonys watch them before out. If they die off you are not out much

this is great advice but i think the cheapest my lrs has the frags for is $24.90 and its a 2-3 polyp frag is that overpriced? and how should i place them in my tank? close to the surface? on the sand bed? on my live rock?

What type of light were they under at the store? If they were under like T5's or mh there in led shock ( that's what i call it ) it meens that you have to dim your lights and slowly make them brighter

my lrs has very high powered kessel led fixtures and theyre programmed to do a whole bunch of dimming and stuff. if i have just a dual t5ho fixture with a 10,000k and actinic bulbs, will they get shocked? is this a problem? and theyre tank is a 400gal tank but its shallow maybe 12" my tank is a 37g bow front and its 18" deep from the sand bed to the surface of the water is this going to be a problem?

this is great advice but i think the cheapest my lrs has the frags for is $24.90 and its a 2-3 polyp frag is that overpriced? and how should i place them in my tank? close to the surface? on the sand bed? on my live rock?

my lrs has very high powered kessel led fixtures and theyre programmed to do a whole bunch of dimming and stuff. if i have just a dual t5ho fixture with a 10,000k and actinic bulbs, will they get shocked? is this a problem? and theyre tank is a 400gal tank but its shallow maybe 12" my tank is a 37g bow front and its 18" deep from the sand bed to the surface of the water is this going to be a problem?

In your tank you should be able to put zoas just about anywhere as long as there isn't too much flow.

They also won't get light shocked if they are used to those leds in the other tank.

If you want some cheaper zoas try out radioactive dragon eyes. They are the most common zoa out there and should be really cheap to get compared to the designer zoas that people go crazy over

In your tank you should be able to put zoas just about anywhere as long as there isn't too much flow.

They also won't get light shocked if they are used to those leds in the other tank.

If you want some cheaper zoas try out radioactive dragon eyes. They are the most common zoa out there and should be really cheap to get compared to the designer zoas that people go crazy over

ok, so how well do online bought cprals do? hows the shipping? any warranty? how about price comparison? should i get attentive to the long run placement of them in my tank? thanks again Meb!

ok, so how well do online bought cprals do? hows the shipping? any warranty? how about price comparison? should i get attentive to the long run placement of them in my tank? thanks again Meb!

I ordered corals online once and didn't have any luck with it. But I attribute that to the fact that I was still brand new to the hobby and probably did something dumb to kill them.

Most people have a lot of luck with them so I wouldn't worry too much. The shipping can suck quite a bit though as it was $30 ish for me if memory serves.

I ordered corals online once and didn't have any luck with it. But I attribute that to the fact that I was still brand new to the hobby and probably did something dumb to kill them.

Most people have a lot of luck with them so I wouldn't worry too much. The shipping can suck quite a bit though as it was $30 ish for me if memory serves.

what kind of test kits can i get to measure alkaline and calcium for my corals? and at my lrs i have a good buddy that never checks his levels and just does water changes weekly, and has had it over a yr already and everything is still stable, healthy, and growing. maybe hes kept all his levels stable enough to keep it all balanced and just needs water changes? is this possible?

That is crazy for 2-3 polyps, sounds like you need to find a local forum (reef club) they will probably be able to send you to like better LFS's or buy from other members. I have bought designer zoas for $10 with 10 polyps and another frag on the same rock

That is crazy for 2-3 polyps, sounds like you need to find a local forum (reef club) they will probably be able to send you to like better LFS's or buy from other members. I have bought designer zoas for $10 with 10 polyps and another frag on the same rock

i kinda had a feeling they were overpriced, they sell the hydor slim skim for $129.99 heres the drfosterandsmith price Aquarium Protein Skimmer: Hydor Slim Skim Protein Skimmer so i had a feeling theyre coral was going to be the same margin of overpriced as that skimmer. what should i be paying for a frags with maybe 4-5 polyps? and i have no forum down here, no reef club, nothing.

i kinda had a feeling they were overpriced, they sell the hydor slim skim for $129.99 heres the drfosterandsmith price Aquarium Protein Skimmer: Hydor Slim Skim Protein Skimmer so i had a feeling theyre coral was going to be the same margin of overpriced as that skimmer. what should i be paying for a frags with maybe 4-5 polyps? and i have no forum down here, no reef club, nothing.

Zoanthids can range from $1 a polyp to $100 a polyp. My radioactive dragon eyes had about 15 polyps and I got it for $10. It just depends on what zoanthid it is. Check out Buy Live Coral, Saltwater Fish, Aquarium Supplies | Vivid Aquariums | Tropical Fish Store Los Angeles for some decent ideas on prices.

Also, the hydor slim skim is an acceptable price for 129. No lfs will ever be able to compete with the big online companies for prices.

Where are you?

updated my location sorry, and im from texas, i.e. my screenname (y)

Zoanthids can range from $1 a polyp to $100 a polyp. My radioactive dragon eyes had about 15 polyps and I got it for $10. It just depends on what zoanthid it is. Check out Buy Live Coral, Saltwater Fish, Aquarium Supplies | Vivid Aquariums | Tropical Fish Store Los Angeles for some decent ideas on prices.

Also, the hydor slim skim is an acceptable price for 129. No lfs will ever be able to compete with the big online companies for prices.

yeah i know that, but for some reason it went up @ drfs it was $87.65 for the 65g rated one, maybe because its backordered idk. but ill definitely check that out and thanks for all the advice guys, i really want to get my reef started and not drop $500 on frags lol :banghead:

He is right I bought my skimmer online and a LFS was selling it for $50 more. But there had got to be a local reef club not to far from you may take some looking but o bet you find one

Back
Top Bottom