Zoos and toad stools

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaleHauze

Aquarium Advice Freak
I noticed my corals are getting a slight algae build up. They are in flow so im not sure what to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Parameters and tank maintenance would help alot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

All the basic parameters are at 0ppm except nitrate which is around 20-30 ppm. 10% water change biweekly. Ro/Di water is used. The algae i have noticed is kind of a maroon color that i first noticed after having to dose copper for an Ich outbreak about 2 months ago. I have been using cupisorb to remove the copper for about a month now.

Algae actually likes water flow. The flow helps carry nutrients to the algae. Its bacteria, like cyano, that doesn't like flow.
You need to export the nitrates somehow. Frequent water changes will do a tiny bit of help, maybe. But removing 10-20% of your nitrates on a weekly basis wont really do much. nitrate export is the key. A skimmer? Sump with macro algae? Nitrate removal resin like NitratR?

I have a skimmer and fuge. Net step was going to start running chemipure elite

Cut your light duration down as well.

All the basic parameters are at 0ppm except nitrate which is around 20-30 ppm. 10% water change biweekly. Ro/Di water is used. The algae i have noticed is kind of a maroon color that i first noticed after having to dose copper for an Ich outbreak about 2 months ago. I have been using cupisorb to remove the copper for about a month now.

you put copper in the main display ?
it's amazing anything is growing as the rock absorbs it
nothing will ever remove it from the rock corals will most likely decline and stop growth ,
never put copper in the main display that is the biggest no no in reef keeping
if nitrates are that high your phosphates are prob close behind
bigger more frequent water changes will help lower them
cutting your lights in this situation isn't going to help much if any
that copper is the thing that got me worried the most
it seeped into all the silicon seals along with the rock
and it will be there for a long time
hate to say it but I see a FOWLR in the near future
always ask for advice before you add anything to your tank just not the pet shop

I had a marine biologist from the national aquarium in Baltimore tell me to do that and at this point the copper is back to 0ppm

You put copper in a reef tank? Did they tell you to put it in your reef tank? Or in a qt tank?

In the DT because i was unable to set up a QT. He wanted a QT but said in DT it would be ok. Just had to remove the few CUC i had left so i wouldn't spike my water parameters

I would never put copper into my DT

I would never put copper into my DT

+1 keep an eye on your corals as they're inverts just like your cuc. Copper can get trapped in your rocks and leach out over time. No offense to the Baltimore aquarium guy but the fact that he told you to treat a dt with copper is terrible.

Back
Top Bottom