1.5 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Foreverdixie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone. I am new here and have a question. I was given a 1.5 gallon planted tank with 3 adf. Will they be ok in this size of tank? How do I keep them healthy? There is a filter and heater in the tank also. Thanks. :confused:

Although ADF stay fairly small, and breathe air, not water, I think they would be happier in a larger tank. IMO, upgrade to at least a 5g tank, with 10g being an even better option.
Having a filter and heater is good. Try to keep their water temp about 74-76 F. Keep up on your water changes, filter maintenance, and gravel vacuuming, and they should stay healthy.
They'll appreciate some live, or artificial plants, both to use as hides, and also to block some of the tank light when they need a shadowed place to rest. They primarily feed from the tank bottom, so a sand substrate would be preferable to gravel so they don't accidentally ingest a small rock. You can use a small saucer to feed them on. They'll quickly learn to come when the saucer is put into the tank. They'll love frozen blood worms, brine shrimp, etc. You really should only feed them 3-4 times per week.
If you go with a 10g, I would only fill it to within a couple inches of the top to be sure they can reach the water surface to breathe. And, a tank cover is a good idea, as they can sometimes crawl over the tank sides, or crawl up cords and airlines, etc, and escape.

Thank you for your reply SherLar. I do have a 5 gallon tank that I was planning to put guppies in. Would I have to buy a 10 gallon to put both in?

the bigger the tank the better, the water chemistry is easier to maintain. plus more fish and more room for decor and plants haha.
I think anything less than a 10 gallon is kind of a joke and is a disservice to the fish.

to each their own though. Good luck and props for bothering to ask questions!

Happy dance :dance: I was given a 10 gallon! I only need to buy a hood and get it set up and cycled!!! :dance::dance::dance:

Nice! I would keep that 1.5 around just for a little quarantine/holding/plant-grow tank.
If you have java moss, set a tiny bit up in there and forget about it until you want to sell it. :p

Back
Top Bottom