10 gal adventure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeanerOH

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have had my 10 gal setup for a little while now and had a few questions:

How often do you switch fish (or do you)?

Is my tank too small for an otocinclus?

What else can I look into to shake things up?

After I clean and WC there are still floaters, should I worry about this or will my filter take care of most of this (I am not always paying attention to this)?

Thanks in advance,

Eric:thanks:

Otos will be fine in a 10 gallon tank. I've got four in mine. You just have to make sure they're in good water conditions in a mature tank. Also, make sure you provide a food source for them as they cannot live off the algae alone in a tank, especially a new tank with no or little growth. so make sure to supplement with algae wafers, spirulina, veggies, etc.

Otos will be fine in a 10 gallon tank. I've got four in mine. You just have to make sure they're in good water conditions in a mature tank. Also, make sure you provide a food source for them as they cannot live off the algae alone in a tank, especially a new tank with no or little growth. so make sure to supplement with algae wafers, spirulina, veggies, etc.

What sort of veggies do they normally eat? I thought I've seen something about celery?

I was thinking of getting one since they stay small.

Otos are a schooling fish and prefer to be in schools. What fish do you have in the tank now? A 10 gallon is rather small and is pretty limited to the amount of fish that can be in it.

Right now I have 5 but was more interested in getting some info in case I decide to switch things up or get another tank. Could you also answer the other questions above in my OP?

5 what? And unless the fish pass away I don't think you should constantly be switching things up

I currently have 3 black skirt tetras, a panda Cory (her sister isn't with us anymore), and a blood fin tetra (who came along with the Cory's inadvertently).

I feed my otos spirulina flake, algae wafers and every couple of days, some zucchini. Cucumbers and potatoes have also been recommended but I've never tried those.

Interesting. Thanks for that info. Any other suggestions?

Just watch your otos, they seem to do better in a more mature tank. They can be fragile fish when you first get them but if they make it through the first few weeks, they typically will thrive.

Back
Top Bottom