10 gal stock!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mlonghorns

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone,

So I already have a 43 gallon tank that has been running fine for over a year now so I know all of the basic stuff about getting started but I’m looking for suggestions on stocking a 10 gallon tank.

I want a small tank in my bedroom that is lightly planted with only 1 or 2 fish but I want this/these fish to be pretty cool looking. The only fish I saw so far that I really liked was the neon blue goby but I don’t think more than one in a 10 gallon tank is safe and I’m not really sure if one in a 10 gal is really that safe either. Open to all suggestions!! Thanks!

They only get 2" max you should be ok if you choose to do that, if you just did them in a 10 gallon I would probably go 3-4. Another fish like them is the peacock gudeon, I have 3 and they're very similar to the goby just different colors. Much brighter and vibrant colors and a very fun fish to watch. You could also do a betta with some smaller tetras like ember or neons. Endlers are also a pretty fish, lots of options here. I would go with the gobys or peacocks as I just think they're really attractive fish. I believe you could also go with a killifish or 2, those guys are fun.

Thanks for the quick response! I really like the look of the neon blue gobies so I’ll definiely grab a pair of them. Do you think I could do 2 neon blue gobies and 4 peacock gudgeons? Or should I just stick with the 3-4 neon blues?

I think I would go with 5 max of any combo of these 2 fish just because they're more mid/bottom dwellers. I think you could do any combo really here, if you like the look of the neon blue more then maybe just get 4-5 of them to have a full tank. Or if you want peacocks too then maybe 2 of each, what type of filter are you gonna be running? And with these guys I would use a sand substrate as it's softer. Also are you using live plants?

Okay I’ll orobably just go with 4-5 neon blues if I do it. I’ll definitely go with sand, that’s what my other tank is too. Also I have an extra marinelane penguin 350 (75 gal) filter but I’m assuming that is way too strong? I was just going to buy a smaller 20 gallon filter for it and a new heater. Also I’m still looking into which plants to use. I was going to cycle the tank then add the plants and then the fish

Yeah definitely too strong of a filter, I would look at either an aquaclear 20/30 or a Fluval c2 then maybe check out aqueon pro heaters, probably the best heater out there. Regarding those 2 filters some swear by the aquaclears but I use a c2 and like it more, less water bypass and it's basically a small canister the way the media is set. For plants I would look at Green Cabomba, grows like crazy, Java fern, and hornwort, all low-medium light requirements and easy to grow. You can also add the plants during the cycle if you don't dose ammonia, they prefer some but typically when you dose i believe it gets dosed to around 4ppm which is too much for them. Plus if you have them in it should help cycle a bit faster

Cardinal Tetra. Neon Tetra. Sparkling gourami. Guppies. Zebra Danios. Maybe dwarf Cory's.

I was planning on cycling with some of my existing media from my 43 gallon tank to speed things up even more. Also I’ll look into those plants for sure! They all grow well in sand?

Oh true yeah established media from the 43 will instantly cycle the tank! The hornwort can be planted or tied or left free floating, the cabomba grows well in anything (I have it and it grows like crazy in sand and gravel), and Java fern needs tied on to something like driftwood because it's roots need water exposure more so then what it gets planted in the substrate

Back
Top Bottom