10 Gal. Test Tube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqua Woman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I added 4 neon tetras to a new 10 gal. freshwater aquarium on Jan. 19th. The ammonia level has consistantly tested at 2.0 ppm soon after adding the fish. I have been able to get it down to 1.0 to 1.5 ppm with PWC; however, the tank seems to be stuck and will not cycle. My nitrite and nitrate are testing at 0 ppm. I have been adding Ammo-Lock every two days. Fish are still living; however, I believe I may lose one soon. I have added Stress Zyme + once a week for the past two weeks hopiing this would push things along. No luck. I am only feeding fish once a day and water is clear.

Suggestions? It's been over a month since I set up the aquarium and would love to add more fish. How can I get the tank to cycle?

Last edited:
What kind of filter are you using? Are you doing any filter maintenance? Are you adding anything else to the tank (or have you in since setting up) like medications, ph altering stuff, etc? Are you using a dechlorinator during the pwc process?

Patience is key in this hobby... nothing good happens quickly in an aquarium. It can take 6-8 weeks for a complete cycle, especially if your filter doesn't have good bio filtration.

If I had to guess, maybe Ammo Lock and Stress Zyme are stalling your cycle... I would not recommend using these products, JMO. I like Prime because it detoxifies ammonia and nitrite while still making it available for consumption by the bacteria that you are trying to grow. It's also a water conditioner, so the only product you would add during water changes. I have come to believe that the fewer products we add to our tanks, the better. Again, that is JMO. :)

Thanks everyone! I have only been doing 20% PWC, and for the past two weeks I have only done PWC once a week. I guess I just need to do PWC daily? I have an external box filter. I have been changing the filter every two weeks. The water and gravel look clean.

So, this cycling could take up to eight weeks? Who knew four itty bitty fish would require so much work?! After the tank cycles though I should just be able to do weekly water changes, right?

Sounds like a good plan... you want to do 50% PWC daily or even multiple times a day to keep the ammonia at or below 0.25ppm. It is a lot of work to cycle with fish... that is why we normally recommend a fishless cycle. It is a lot less work.

You are correct that once the cycle completes, weekly PWCs will be a good routine to get into.

Thanks everyone! I have only been doing 20% PWC, and for the past two weeks I have only done PWC once a week. I guess I just need to do PWC daily? I have an external box filter. I have been changing the filter every two weeks. The water and gravel look clean.

So, this cycling could take up to eight weeks? Who knew four itty bitty fish would require so much work?! After the tank cycles though I should just be able to do weekly water changes, right?

Some one correct me if im wrong but its better for your tank to clean your filters in the old tank water from your pwc and keep using those till they fall apart, then replace them or even better go but a roll of filter media and cut to size it will last you forever.

Yes, agree Love. I missed that in my post. You do not want to replace the filter every two weeks. That will def. extend your cycle. Most of the good bacteria live in this filter media/cartridge that you are replacing. Good catch, and my bad!

Still Confused

So, on the box of filter cartridges I purchased (which are made by the same company as the box filter) it says to replace the blue cartridge which contains carbon, every 2-4weeks. The white filter, which is front of the blue filter, is to never be changed. Do you agree?

Also, if I am doing 50% water changes to keep the ammonia low, will it ever cycle? I was under the impression that the ammonia would need to spike to 3-4ppm and then the nitrite would rise which would eventually boost the nitrate level.

Update: All fish are still living and look pretty good.

So, on the box of filter cartridges I purchased (which are made by the same company as the box filter) it says to replace the blue cartridge which contains carbon, every 2-4weeks. The white filter, which is front of the blue filter, is to never be changed. Do you agree?

Also, if I am doing 50% water changes to keep the ammonia low, will it ever cycle? I was under the impression that the ammonia would need to spike to 3-4ppm and then the nitrite would rise which would eventually boost the nitrate level.

The reason the companies tell you to change every two weeks is to make money. The carbon in the filters dies after just a few days. The only time you should need carbon is after medications. Trust me on this. Until they fall apart, keep using them. Best of luck with your fish.

I have artificial plants, a few rocks, and an aquarium decoration in my tank. Should I clean these while I am waiting for the tank to cycle? Or will the dirt help create the bacteria needed to complete cycle? Same question for the aquarium glass?

Ammonia = .5
ph = 6
nitrate = 0
Nitrite = 0

You can clean the glass and the decor by brushing them off. It won't have much of an effect on your cycle.

Looks like your ammonia is creeping up again... you want to do another PWC and get that back down under 0.25ppm.

What is the pH of your water out of the tap?

Aqua Woman said:

Your cycle will go just fine with PWC and keeping the ammonia under .25. Just in the future, after it is cycled you will need to add fish one or two at a time so the bacteria has time to adjust with out going through a mini cycle.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

When I first started out, I used to changed the filter cartridge too everytime I saw it dirty. But then I realized and was adviced that since my tank was not cycled yet (I am also cycling with fish right now- see my signature for my 10G), I shouldn't change my filter media because that is where the good bacteria will be. If it really does need some cleaning, when you do your 2-3 times 50% PWC daily, you can clean the filter cartridge from the water you took out of the aquarium to preserve the good bacteria. That way, your cycle will not restart, coz it will if you change your filter media.

Don't let your ammonia spike up to 3-4ppm when you have fish. It is very harmful for the fishes. You can do that with fishless cycle. Let the ammonia stay at 0.25ppm, most recommended (I am also striving to keep that level in my tank with fish - cycling for 5-6th weeks now).

Check the ammonia and nitrite daily if you can coz cycling with fish is always tricky. Speaking from experience....

My pH out of the tap is 7.6. What is making it so much lower in the tank? All I am adding is water conditioner.

Back
Top Bottom