10 Gallon Advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PancakesMcCoolWhip

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello aquarium advice!

I read the newbie guide stickies two weeks ago a few days after I got my ten gallon. Unfortunately, I didn't do a fishless cycle due to ignorance on the subject :banghead:. I got the freshwater master and did tests this whole week and got 7ph, .25 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 10 nitrates (amazingly). My tank is stocked with 1 angelfish, 8 neon tetras, 6 platies. I heard about the minimum tank size for the angelfish too late and can't really do anything about getting a new tank at this point. It's planted with an amazon sword and some java moss on driftwood an aqueon filter and an air pump. Any tips and tricks you guys could impart in regards to my specific setup and the whole angelfish problem (soon-to-be problem)

Your tank is still cycling. Test your water every other day for the next 3-4 weeks to make sure everything is stable and change some of the water as needed to keep ammonia and nitrite down.

I'm not sure if all of your fish have enough room in that tank. I counted 15 fish. It concerns me when there are more fish than the amount of gallons in a tank. Maybe some will die during cycling.

A 30 gallon sounds like it'd be a good fit for your fish. Plenty of room. And only $30 at petco if you get it before the 16th :)

Hello aquarium advice!

I read the newbie guide stickies two weeks ago a few days after I got my ten gallon. Unfortunately, I didn't do a fishless cycle due to ignorance on the subject :banghead:. I got the freshwater master and did tests this whole week and got 7ph, .25 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 10 nitrates (amazingly). My tank is stocked with 1 angelfish, 8 neon tetras, 6 platies. I heard about the minimum tank size for the angelfish too late and can't really do anything about getting a new tank at this point. It's planted with an amazon sword and some java moss on driftwood an aqueon filter and an air pump. Any tips and tricks you guys could impart in regards to my specific setup and the whole angelfish problem (soon-to-be problem)

Welcome to AA! :)

Well even a 30 gallon wouldn't solve this problem since the angel will end up eating the neons. The only fix I see for this is to take some of your fish back to the store: the angel, 2 tetras, and 3-4 platties and your tank will be stocked nicely. You want to make sure you have only female or only male platties. I would go for only males since the females are likely pregnant already. Here's how to sex them:
Femalelivebearer.jpg
Malelivebearer.jpg
From there keep a close eye on your parameters and do a water change anytime you have .25 nitrites or ammonia. Hopefully once you have the stank stocked properly the tank will just drop to 0 ammo and remain stable.

I was working on a solution to my problem and seems I can acquire a free 30 gallon tank from a friend. need advisement on what I can stock my 5 gallon/10 gallon/soon to be 30 gallon with. my 5 gallon is currently housing a single betta fish. been cycling for 1 week or so(again wasn't able to do a fishless cycle due to ignorance:banghead:). consistently the ammo is 0/nitrites 0/nitrates 5. seems the 30 gallon i'll be getting has already been established somewhat with a pleco and 3 other 3 inch fish (not sure which they are though)

Thanks for the replys :),

Pancakes

edit: i'll probably end up being able to return some platties to the fish store but really want to keep the tetras.

Welcome to AA! :)

You can't add any more fish to your five gallon but you can try amano shrimp. :)
What pleco are you talking about? As in an oto which get three inches long max or a common pleco you got that was three inches? Commons get two feet long.

Edit: if you give us some pics of your three inch fish I'm sire we'd be able to ID them :)

Well that's awesome! Yes, please do post pics of the fish it comes with when you can and we can help ID them. I think depending on when you will get the 30 gal the platties and neons can prob all stay in the 10 (as long as you keep an eye on the parameters and do water change any time ammo or nitrite hits .25) until you have the 30 set up so you can avoid returning any. I'm going to include a link for fishless cycling that you'll need for the 30: The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling

I'll be able to get the 30 gallon by Sunday. Sadly, I don't have any pics of the fish that's gonna come with the 30 gallon.

@siva seems like I have two females and four male platies in my tank...hmmmmm
Here's a pic of the tank. Angelfish gets cranky when I don't feed enough :cool:

Very nice! Just post some pics once you get them. :)

Oh well...you may want to take some back. OR you could split them and keep the females in your 10 and the males in your 30. Give it some time and think about it ;)

Back
Top Bottom