10 gallon algae control?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vol4Ever

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey all. I was here tons during my cycling process, but went away for a while once I finally got stocked with little fishies. Tank has been "fishified" and running flawlessly since Oct 26 (easy to remember since that was my birthday!). Keeping an eye on all the parameters with trusty API kit, and doing semi-weekly PWC to keep everything in check.

Now my new issue. ALGAE. It is growing on EVERYTHING in the tank. In some spots it is starting to look like grass. I need a little fish lawn mowing service. PWC's help knock it down pretty good, but it sure doesn't take long to come back.

I've killed 6 snails now, bought from different places and put in at different times. For some reason, my tank just won't support them. No earthly idea why as the fish are all thriving. Aside from snails, what is the best method for algae control? I have the sponge wand which takes care of the glass, but it is also covering the pea gravel, ornaments, heater, etc.

Is there an algae control chemical that is safe to add? Thanks in advance.

~Vol

Lights on a timer that runs from about 7 am to 5 pm. And I do have the bio-room for another fish. Maybe Molly is onto something. Any recommendations on an algae eater that will fit in a 10 gal? All the pleco's are out, aren't they?

I would start there, I wouldn't keep lights on longer than 8 hours a day. Try a blackout for a few days then reduce lighting to 8 hours or less. You could change them to be on only when your around the tank.

Vol4Ever said:
Lights on a timer that runs from about 7 am to 5 pm. And I do have the bio-room for another fish. Maybe Molly is onto something. Any recommendations on an algae eater that will fit in a 10 gal? All the pleco's are out, aren't they?

What's in there? Definitely not a molly or pleco. I'm not gonna suggest any algae eater, there are other ways to fix it

One honey dwarf gourami and 4 harly rasboras. Probably adding a male guppy or 2 after the holidays. Tank is in my office, so I'm going to have to rely on a vacation feeder for about a week and a half. I might just unplug the light while I'm out & see if that helps. My office has 2 windows, so the tank does get some ambient light (not direct).

I wouldn't add anything else except 2 more rasboras to complete the school.

Try a blackout over the holidays and you should be fine.

When you go back to work try turning the lights on at 9 and off at 5

For a blackout can I just leave the internal lights off, or do I need to find something to cover up the whole thing?

I still may look for some type of algae eater fish. Mainly because I like having different varieties of fish to look at. Kind of boring if they are all duplicates of the same thing. :)

Aside from snails there aren't any algae eaters I can think of that will fit in your tank...

How much ambient light is it getting? If its not a lot then you don't need to cover it.

Our office is actually an old duplex house that was converted into an office building. My personal office is a small bedroom that has 2 north facing windows. Windows don't get much direct line sunlight, and the light that comes in just lights the general office area. Tank is not sitting in the stream.

Back
Top Bottom