10 gallon aquaponic overstocked??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phish friend

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all and thanks in advance for your help.

Recently started a new 10 gallon aquaponic with strawberries, yum! So far all seems well, been up and running for a couple weeks, just got the plants and fish in since the biofilter more or less established. I've been testing the water daily, so far so good. I am concerned though I may have did that thing beginners do when they get excited and overstocked. I believe my filtration is more than enough, my pump moves 70 gph, but I want everyone to be healthy, happy and have space.

In my 10 gallon I have:
4 glofish tetras
2 fancy guppies (male and female, don't care if they mate, should I?)
7 neon tetras

I grew up around a lot of aquarium fanatics and always helped, but this is my first attempt on my own. The neons are not fully grown, the others look close to it. Everyone appears to be getting along, but am I overstocked? To make matters worse I wanted to add a couple cherry and/or ghost shrimp for aesthetics but I fear I reached my limit. I also have live plants in my tank; windelov fern, El nino fern, Amazon compacta, patches of cardinal plant and dwarf mini hairgrass. I also have a water lilly and onion bulb that look to be on the verge of sprouting. Am I over planted? Currently the largest is the El nino at about 9 inches. Getting a bigger tank is an option, though if I can get away with my current setup it works better for my space. I could use any and all insight and suggestions, thanks!

You may be slightly overstocked, but I think it's acceptable. Without wanting to start up the great "what is acceptable for a 10g" debate, I don't think any of these fish are unsuitable to be kept in a 10g. Of course bigger is almost always better.

Back
Top Bottom