10 Gallon Betta/ADF tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Talvari

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I havent had very good luck with the panda cory's I've bought from a lfs. All but one have died, the one thats still alive having been the biggest and fattest from the getgo. I'm not sure if its just weak stock, or the lfs is selling them too young or too small... But my water params are spot on, and Ive lost 6 out of 7.

Anyways... I thought about doing a nano saltwater tank, but my husband talked me out of it. So now heres what I plan on doing.

I am going to put sand in it instead of gravel. My remaining panda cory is going into the 55 gallon to hang out with the peppered cory's I have in there... Not ideal, but I dont want to get any more panda's from that store. I am going to move my extremely docile crowntail betta in there (hes been with shrimp, neon tetra, etc. He only ate the shrimp after they died.) Then I am going to get four African Dwarf Frogs. Thats it. Thats the tank. Everyone should have enough space, and it will have a different look than all the rest of my tanks.

I'll post pics when everything is up and running.

I think ADFs are awesome. Can't wait to see pics.

Last edited:
So here is what the tank looked like initially. Now that I've done tanks with sand, I really find that I prefer the look of it, and it seems easier to clean.

img_1833283_0_aa003ee01a621ab5eafa84140e6b4099.jpg

Heres the tank after I added the sand... I also "trimmed" the plants in the back so they no longer block alot of the surface. I had to take the whale out because even though its supposed to be an aquarium decoration... The paint had started to bubble and chip. I dont trust it, so its gone. There is still alot of bubbles on the glass, and the water is really cloudy despite multiple rinsings.

img_1833283_1_deac963596cb22c22440d758542db8d4.jpg

I heard African Dwarf Frogs are little escape artists, so I took some saran wrap and taped it to the back of the tank. I then stretched it over the holes and tucked it up under my light. The spot I tucked it doesnt get very warm, so it shouldnt melt the wrap, and this will allow for easy lid removal, since its only taped on the back.

img_1833283_2_bc42a3ff21490461402f2ad186341d1e.jpg

The water cleared up a little after I started the filter running again.. This is about an hour later. I added one of my extra anubias to the tank... I figure the frogs will probably enjoy hanging out under the leaves.

img_1833283_3_b45a47a4933ae4375ea2cfc85bb36a3b.jpg

I'll probably pick up the frogs tomorrow. We received some really nice healthy ones last week, and they've been eating well. The tank has been cycled for months now, so I'm not all that worried about that aspect.

What do you guys think?

I bought my four little frogs today! Im excited to see how they settle in and stuff.

Heres the tank today after adding the frogs. They were pretty quick to go start exploring the plants, though you can see one hanging out on the left. I'm impressed with how clear the water is now.

img_1834930_0_4a0cae9c874e5f3b3bc4bc27f5a022f4.jpg

And here is the picture that everyone wants to see.... The little guy came out of hiding to check me out.

img_1834930_1_94b747444f9048ff171284e58ffc420c.jpg

OH wow I really like how the sand looks! Cute frog :) did you give him a name yet?

Thanks. :)

And no, no names.. The four of them look nearly identical.

Lol he's a chubster! I actually have a Betta and 2 ADFs in a 10g :) probably add more frogs later. What are you feeding them? Any tips for me?

Yeah, they have all been eating well at work! We feed ours at work bloodworms every night... Ill probably only feed mine bloodworms 3X a week, because I only have 4... Not 30, like at work.

I've seen them nibble at sinking shrimp pellets, too, and very occasionally, tropical flakes if they happen to run into some that has sunk. Frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp seem like the best bet, though. ADF's dont have very good eye sight and rely on their sense of smell to guide them to food. The frozen food has a much "better" scent. (to them, anyways.)

I think they may be big enough to try and sex.....

Uh-oh. If I go by the bump-under-the-armpit for boys method.... I have three boys and a girl. Either she is REALLY lucky, or she is in SERIOUS trouble. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom