10 gallon Betta community- first tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alinewfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm thinking of setting up a new 10 gallon planted Betta community tank. This will be my first fish tank but I have done a lot of research so I know fairly well, although some useful tips and info would be appreciated.

Ok so I was thinking of adding:
-1 Male Betta
-6 Pygmy corys
-6 otocinclus (if the tank grows a lot of algae)
- possibly some snails or shrimp

I know it's a bit overstocked but the tank will be heavily planted and I'll be doing frequent water changes but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Do you think this combination is good or are there any other cool species that will go well with a Male Betta? (initially planned on adding fish like neon tetras but they may nip the betta's fins)

Thanks!

If you're planning on overstocking, filter heavily and add stock slowly. As for the rest, I'm not the one to answer.

Just curious- why not get a larger tank?

I think it's best to leave out the otocinclus. Or just get a larger tank. An overstocked tank is much harder to maintain than you think.

I have had 2 Betta's in community tanks successfully. Just make sure no one has flashy fins.

If you're planning on overstocking, filter heavily and add stock slowly. As for the rest, I'm not the one to answer.

Just curious- why not get a larger tank?

I only have a certain amount of space

I have had 2 Betta's in community tanks successfully. Just make sure no one has flashy fins.

I have heard people say this before: usually the two males grew up as fry together. :whistle: Anyway, I usually play on the safe side with bettas. I have had too many fish wind up on the menu. :facepalm:

Betta will do fine as a community fish if the other fish are peaceful type.My Betta is in a 40 gallon with 6 neons,2 red eye tetras,2 blue dwarf gourami,and 2 dwarf honey gourami.No issues what so ever.

I have heard people say this before: usually the two males grew up as fry together. :whistle: Anyway, I usually play on the safe side with bettas. I have had too many fish wind up on the menu. :facepalm:

Sorry I was not clear. 2 different tanks. Only one resident Betta in each tank.

I'd definitely not get 6 otos, they're almost dependant on algae growth as their staple diet and the most you'd ever need for algae control is one or two but they usually like being kept in groups.

I disagree with bettas being good in communities if XYZ... Certain bettas will be fine in communities, others will not. You won't know until you try, and then you might be buying a new tank. (glares at daughter's mean female betta)

You can always supplement sheet seaweed if you don't have enough algae.

I keep my Betta solo.I have heard they can work in a community tank but I don't think its wise for a newbie to do. Also, I would not put oto's in a 10 gallon. I was advised against doing that by multiple people.

Ottos do better in a shoal/group. And are fairly active. A 10g is tight quarters for any active fish.

Betta loves community Tank

I disagree with bettas being good in communities if XYZ... Certain bettas will be fine in communities, others will not. You won't know until you try, and then you might be buying a new tank. (glares at daughter's mean female betta)

You can always supplement sheet seaweed if you don't have enough algae.

My Betta loves his community tank.

Back
Top Bottom