10 gallon betta mates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

klour.fish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey, all! I haven't ever tried to keep a betta with any tank mates before, all of my past bettas have been in solo bachelor pad 5 gallons. Now, I have a 10 gallon I got from a friend and am thinking about trying a betta with tank makes. So far, here's the plan:

1 male betta (the only thing guaranteed in this tank)
??? ember tetras
??? bottom feeder of some kind
A few shrimp
Nerite snail

Trying to figure out how to do this in a 10 gal. is making my head spin. I'm worried about bioload but would love to have an interesting and dynamic tank. Is that even possible with a 10 gallon or would I have to go bigger? Any advice?

Skip the shrimp, your betta might kill them all.
5 embers should be ok in that size of a tank, they are small so their bioload isn't big. The only bottom feeder I can reccomend for a 10g would be pygmy corydoras. They only get 1" max. Di you need bottom feeders if you have snails though?
I would keep the 5 gal set up just in case your betta doesn't like friends. Every fish is different.

I have cherry shrimp in my Betta tank and he leaves them alone. Actually second Betta in the same tank and neither Betta bothers the shrimp. But...big but here. When I first added shrimp, my Betta was there first, he did go after one right away and kill it, and then got along with the others. I also have plenty of hiding places for the shrimp. Second betta (first one sadly died after a year and a bit), went into tank with shrimp already living there and he swims around with them all the time, never looks at them. As SaraB said though, every fish is different.

Back
Top Bottom