10 gallon ideas/ 29 gallon centerpiece

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scoobcake

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok so i have a 10 gallon I would like to heavily plant and add some fish to. I want to experiment with plants and get more experience with them. Right now the only thing I've done with plants is float some hornwart in my 29 gallon. What kinds of plants should I be looking to put into the 10 gallon? Im also looking for ideas of fish to stock in there. I really love glass catfish and wouldnt mind doing a species tank of them but didnt know how many a 10g could house and if it'd be enough to be worthwhile. I also like the idea of trying to breed some fish in my 10g but I dont think the glass cats would be a good candidate for that. Any other ideas?

Also Im looking to finish stocking my 29G tank. Right now I have:

1 swordtail
2 dalmation molly (one is a fry in a breeder net)
5 danios
1 bushy nose pleco
2 kuhli loach
2 glass catfish
1 snail

Im looking to get a centerpiece for this community tank that will be a bit larger yet be a friendly addition. And finally on top of the centerpiece can I still add some more fish to this tank without overstocking it. Would love to roundout my kuhlis and/or glass cats. for filtration im running a penguin 350 if that affects my stocking level.

thanks a bunch!

As for the 10 gallon, they can be nice, small aquariums. I really liked having 3, but had too many tanks so got rid of one. I have 2 right now, and one is planted. Its a nice nano aquarium, and has some low lighting plants and a banana plant. Id recomend low lighting and hardy plants such as the java fern, java moss, anubias, and maybe some plastic plants to hold you over. For fish, i suggest a school of pymgy cories, some shrimp maybe, some glowlight tetras would be cool, and maybe a betta. AS for the 29, i think youre stocked up there IMO.

I really like your stocking ideas on the 10G. I would like to grow plats for awhile before adding fish. Is that doable? Because if I have to change something around or I dont like things I would like to be able to dig around in there without disturbing any fish. if I do that do i need to dose ammonia?

As for the 29 I think I can get a few more in there. but Im new to this so not too sure. I think if I round out my kuhlis to 5 at be pretty much at my max. Id like to add 3 glass cats as well though..... hmmm

With adequate filtration can you be slightly overstocked and be ok? Just more PWCs? For example at my LFS I'll see a ton of fish sitting in a 10G and I dont know how that works?

Hello, I think that you should leave the glass cats in the 29g and add some more. IMO, they best in bigger groups (like 8). The kuhlis would also probably do better in the long run with a few more of them. About the only centerpiece I can think of at the moment to add would be a honey gourami or maybe a Bolivian ram. But, that depends on your water parameters and filtration.
What kind of danio?
As for the 10g, there are some really great low light plants that would do really well in there. They ones mr. waffles listed out are really good. There is also hornwort, guppy grass,
For stocking the 10g, there are some really great nano fish out there who would do awesome in that tank. Glass cats are not on that list, but do not despair! There are celestial pearl danios, scarlet badis, neons, green neons, ember tetras, gold-ringed danios, pygmy corys (c. pygmaeus, habrosus, hastotus), Asian stone catfish, guppies, Endler's livebearers, platys, oto pair, croaking gourami, sparking gourami, dwarf puffer, chili rasbora, micro rasbora, ember tetras, least killifish, clown kilifish, as well as nerite snails, dwarf crays, and a variety of shrimp. :) You need to look up these species though because they all have their own unique needs and not all of them are compatable with each other, or even with any other fish. :)

Ok so after looking through all these fish my wife and I fell in love with the dwarf puffers. I read a decent amount about them and was kind of disappointed. It looks like they suggest having only 1 per 5 gallons of water so I could only have 2 in my 10G. On top of that I read they are very aggressive and are terrible community fish. The only thing they said usually works well with them is otos. Can anyone confirm or deny from personal experience?

Alright ignore that last post. After reading more about puffers I decided against them. I think Im going to make it a species tank of Celestial Pearl Danio.

Lol, I am pretty sure that by having a species tank, Scoobcake will be having only that species in there, so no worries about boisterous tankmates. ;)

@Scoobcake, good call on the cpd. :) They are definitely little cuties. :)

Thanks! I though they had a really interesting look to them. Actually though I was thinking of 1 or 2 algae eaters in case algae gets out of hand. any thoughts on that?

Some people keep otos successfully as a pair in a ten gallon. But be careful, they are known to be sensitive fish, so make sure your tank is stable and established.

Also nerite snails are another great option as well.

how many of those snails would you toss in a 10G and would they eat holes in my plants?

And if I put two in there will I have a population explosion or how do those ones reproduce?

They won't hatch but you will end up with sesame seed looking eggs everywhere. Mine seem to be 'at it' 24/7. Most of my 3 bits of driftwood are covered in white spots!

Just a quick pic of one part of one bit of wood to show how they are going at it, lol.

Attachments

• image-3478784754.jpg
    image-3478784754.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 61
Back
Top Bottom