10 Gallon Stock idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bass2013

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
10 gallon tank
Still going through a cycle well starting the cycle.
I was wanting to start getting ideas on my stock.
Peaceful non aggressive fish
I know for sure I want Cory's just for the fact I like the way they look and they are cool.
What others would go good with Cory's in a 10 gallon?
Please note, I know Cory's like groups of 3 or less. I was going to get 3 of the same kind just to make it simple.
Thanks!

Three or more Cory's you mean right? I would say get the smallest type you can find as the more there are the happier they will be. A unique and cool schooling fish would be ember tetras. They are small and fairly peaceful. Try getting a honey or sparkling gourami too! Don't get two male gouramis but just one sparkler should be pretty peaceful and a good fit for a ten gallon.

Definitely second the idea of a honey gourami or two for any sort of small peaceful community tank.

Yup, 3 or more Cory.. I'd get either the Julii, Panda, or Pymy variety. For schooling fish, the Galaxy Rasbora are pretty popular right now. My LFS can't keep them in stock. I'm also finding the Peacock Gudgeon to be an interesting addition to small tanks.

I have a betta in my 10 gallon and he is so happy! I am planning on adding cories soon.

pkt said:
I have a betta in my 10 gallon and he is so happy! I am planning on adding cories soon.

Your Betta is certainly lucky to have a 10 gallon, he better be happy! Haha... I wish more Betta owners were like you instead of putting them in those gallon sized so called Betta cubes/bowls.

Brian_Nano12g said:
Yup, 3 or more Cory.. I'd get either the Julii, Panda, or Pymy variety. For schooling fish, the Galaxy Rasbora are pretty popular right now. My LFS can't keep them in stock. I'm also finding the Peacock Gudgeon to be an interesting addition to small tanks.

I was thinking panda! I really like them

I just want to say be careful about keeping bettas with other fish. Some bettas will allow anything with them, others will allow nothing. For example: Many people keep some neon tetras with a betta. My sister's betta ate a neon tetra and attacked the others. It also ate the antennas of some snails. Bettas are really hit-and-miss. One way to test the betta's attitude is to put the cup with the betta you want next to a cup with another betta. If the betta you want is trying to swim towards the other betta, you know the betta you want will probably not work with other fish. Now, if it doesn't try to swim towards the other betta, this doesn't necessarily mean it will like other tankmates, the betta might have just been tired, but it is a good sign. However, in any circumstance, it is a good idea to have a backup (like a separate tank) if the betta chases the other fish.

I too am readying up a 10 gallon. Starting the cycle today with some biomedia and gravel from my 29. I definitely want red cherries in there. I'm thinking either endlers or galaxy rasboras to go with those. 3 corys might be an idea as well. I have 4 albinos in the other, so pygmies or another small type for this tank. I'm up for ideas as well, but red cherries are a must!

creic38 said:
I too am readying up a 10 gallon. Starting the cycle today with some biomedia and gravel from my 29. I definitely want red cherries in there. I'm thinking either endlers or galaxy rasboras to go with those. 3 corys might be an idea as well. I have 4 albinos in the other, so pygmies or another small type for this tank. I'm up for ideas as well, but red cherries are a must!

My friend is selling red cherrys I was thinking 2 of them just cause they are cool

IMO 3 Cory's wouldn't be enough, really 5 or more is required and you could not do 5 in a 10g, they require around 15g and up for a group of 5 and up as they can grow to around 5cm. Corydoras Habrosus would be better (5).

Borderlesscott said:
IMO 3 Cory's wouldn't be enough, really 5 or more is required and you could not do 5 in a 10g, they require around 15g and up for a group of 5 and up as they can grow to around 5cm. Corydoras Habrosus would be better (5).

My friend had started out with 3 and 2 died the last one still lives, he swims without a care in the world! Happiest fish iv seen! So i think 3 will work perfectly for my 10.

I would get six as they will be much more active
Be sure to get a dwarf species

I would get six as they will be much more active
Be sure to get a dwarf species

Couldn't agree more, 2-3 Cory's, chances are they will sit in a corner all day. 6-7 Cory's, chances are you will have Cory craziness all round the tank.

I have 4 albino cories in my 29. They are great in that number. I started out with two.....they were fine by themselves. They are all very active and follow each other around sometimes. I guess it depends on their personality and the other dish in the community.

What kind of substrate do you have? If it's sand or rounded gravel it should be ok but if the gravel is sharp it wouldn't do for corys as their barbels can get damaged. I wouldn't put pandas in a 10; cory pygmaeus (maybe, as their pretty active) or hastus are the only types I'd put in a 10. Get at least 4 (they do best in even numbers I've found). A gourami might not do too well with the smaller type of cory, it depends on the fish's temperament so keep that in mind too.

You could do:
4 small cory as mentioned above
6 small nano fish like ember tetra, chili rasbora or celestial pearl danio. Endler's livebearers would also work.
You could try a small gourami as a centerpiece (dwarf or sparkling) or one or two dario dario (scarlet badis); just have a backup plan if the gourami is aggressive

Back
Top Bottom