10 gallon stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Danio8

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am planning to get a 10 gallon tank. I need some hardy species so I was thinking of getting:
-6 Green Neon Tetras
-4-6 Panda Cories(Or another small cory)
-1 or 2 Nerites once the tank starts growing things.

I have a ph of around 8.2. The filtration would be an Aqueon QuietFlow 20. The tank would probably have some driftwood, (aquarium safe) rocks, and a few Java ferns, Java Moss, and maybe some Marimo Moss balls.

I have a cycled 20 gallon.

Would the stocking I have planned work, or are there too many fish?

Hmm, maybe I might do Cardinals instead of the Green Neons. The Green Neon Tetras seem to be a bit rarer and harder to find than the Cardinals. Plus, I think the red and blue of the Cardinals would look nice against the green plants. Is there any reason the Green Neons would be better that Cardinals?

If the 10 gallon tank is a standard size 10 gallon from the US, then it is too small for Corydoras or neon, green neon or cardinal tetras.

Can you get a 20 gallon long instead or an even bigger tank?

A 10 gallon is better for a single Siamese fighting fish or a pr of small gouramis (not dwarf gouramis/ Colisa lalius because they are riddled with diseases).

Hmm, so no on Cardinals and Greens. Would a betta and 6-8 Ember tetras (and maybe a nerite) be okay in a 10 gallon?

If I were to get Gouramis, do you think 2 honeys would be okay? I would prefer having more fish and/or different types if possible.

Betta splendens (Siamese fighting fish) are not a community fish and should not be kept with anything else because they can snap and kill everything in the tank. Some are not an issue but you can't tell and by the time something bad happens, it's too late.

Two honey gouramis would probably be ok with some ember tetras, and maybe a small species of Peckoltia (suckermouth catfish). That would be about it.

Are you sure about keeping a Peckoltia in a 10 gallon? I did a little research and google says the minimum tank size is 30-40 gallons? Is there a specific type of Peckoltia that is really small?

There are a couple of small species of Peckoltia that grow to 3 inches and one of these would be ok. But don't add any suckermouth catfish until you have a decent layer of algae on the glass and ornaments, and make sure you have some driftwood in the tank.

I have no idea what species of Peckoltia there are now. It's been decades since I kept them. Do a Google search for small species of suckermouth catfish or check out the planet catfish website.

The other option is Otocinclus catfish but you would need a few of them because they like to be in groups of at least 4 (preferably 6 or more). They can't be put into new tanks and need lots of algae and biofilm (slime) on the glass and ornaments before they are added otherwise they starve. They also need driftwood to chew on.

If you get Otocinclus catfish, look at their stomachs in the shop tank. They should have little round bellies and not be sunken in. If they have sunken bellies, they are starving and will probably die.

Do you think a Clown Pleco would be suitable? I will have a fair amount of driftwood for it and the filtration I am planning to use is fine. The only problem is that I read it might tear up plants if you don't feed it enough veggies. Would a clown pleco be okay?

So, revised stocking plan:
-6 Ember Tetras
-2 Honey Gouramis
-(Maybe) 1 Clown Pleco
-1-2 Nerite Snails

The clown pleco could potentially get a little bit big for that tank, but it should be ok

What you e got listed there is a pretty good bio load for a 10gal, I wouldn’t suggest adding any more (and maybe consider a few less). The last thing anyone wants is a tank that needs constant care and attention to maintain water quality, it might not seem bad at first but it really takes the fun out of it especially if you start losing fish because of it.

Don’t forget a piece of driftwood for the pleco to rasp on!

Alright, I knew the Pleco was a little on the edge of overstocking. I might just stick to a few nerites to clean up.

In my 10 gal tank I have.......
Neon tetras.
Harliquin Rasboras
Cory cats
I also have some "cherry shrimp".

It is a very peaceful tank as all get along great. :)

In my 10 gal tank I have.......
Neon tetras.
Harliquin Rasboras
Cory cats
I also have some "cherry shrimp".

It is a very peaceful tank as all get along great. :)

I actually was thinking about the same for my ten gallon, except pygmy corydoras. Glad to know that this will work! Waiting for the tank to cycle.

I have 4 Panda Corys and the are a somewhat smaller variety and really cute. They have even started to breed and I did not even know I had a female.

I have 4 Panda Corys and the are a somewhat smaller variety and really cute. They have even started to breed and I did not even know I had a female.

That's awesome! How long have you had your tank? Any plants?

Here is my tank.. today .
I always go for a natural looking tank with real plants,,,, and no gaudy unnatural colors with anything in the tank.
It has been "up and running" for almost a year now.

BTW, the black background is just a piece of cardboard covered with a black plastic garbage bag. and taped on the out side.
Also, I rarely clean the inside back glass , I just clean the front and sides

The Cherry Shrimp seem to like to much on any algae that forms on the back glass and sort of keep it somewhat clean :)

Attachments

• 001MY_TNK1x.jpg
    001MY_TNK1x.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 32
Here is my tank.. today .
I always go for a natural looking tank with real plants,,,, and no gaudy unnatural colors with anything in the tank.
It has been "up and running" for almost a year now.

BTW, the black background is just a piece of cardboard covered with a black plastic garbage bag. and taped on the out side.
Also, I rarely clean the inside back glass , I just clean the front and sides

The Cherry Shrimp seem to like to much on any algae that forms on the back glass and sort of keep it somewhat clean :)

Great tank! I like the vegetation that makes the tank natural. I also like the cherry shrimp crawling all over and the branch as well. How often do you do the water changes? I'm asking because aqadvisor.com would probably say this is overstocked, but I know people say that they really underestimate how much can be put in a tank. You're a more accurate barometer since you have a real tank! :)

Yeah, it might be slightly overstocked.
However, there are variables involved with what can be truly considered overstocked. It is fully planted so this helps.
The shrimp are multiplying and so the Cory cats are now also .

In this 10 gal tank I change 2 gal every week

The only water parameter I still check is the nitrate level just to make sure it does not get too high.

Danio, just for comparison, I got:
2 black mollies
2 male guppies and 1 female
4 neons
2 Rasboras
2 orange platys
A couple of mystery snails and in the front, live Java moss
Using a Fluval aqua clear 20 which does a great job.
Also do water changes twice per week, a gallon or two each time. It’s all working for me.

Attachments

• 8386A3EF-C73E-483D-8B69-D1CBD8217395.jpg
    8386A3EF-C73E-483D-8B69-D1CBD8217395.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 20
Back
Top Bottom