10 gallon stocking question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MonkeyMonk86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have 3 glo danios in 1 quarantine tank and 1 electric green " cory" in another quarantine tank. They will all be going into an empty cycled 10 gallon aquarium. One of the danios is a bully. The electric green "Cory" hardly ever moves, but the others of his type died right after purchase. My water pH is around 8.2 but I am soaking drift wood for the 10 gallon.

Right now, it doesn't matter what I want, but what is best for them. I read that the electric green needs 4 minimum but that they are really 30 gallon fish. And, the danios, do better in a group, too. I had 5, 2 died the night they were purchased, and Maniac was just as much a bully with 5 in quarantine. My tank will be planted. I would say heavily, but my guess from seeing other tanks, than it would technically be considered moderate.

Also, I have a shellfish allergy. My daughter got really angry when I talked about adding shrimps. Even with the mention of gloves and other precautions, she was furious. So, for family peace, I guess shrimp are out.

Should I go against the guidelines and get more electric green? Or should I get 10 gallon corry and hope my guy fits in?

Do I need to have all glo danos (like about 6 total) because of Maniac?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

I would get more electric greens. I would also get more glo or zebra danios, as they both school together to my knowledge. For the maniac danio, leave him in QT longer then the others ( not to sure if that will work though). If the tank will be moderately planted, that should create some hiding spots to keep the aggression down.

Thanks, Fishguy, I was hoping I could get more electric green for Lonely Guy. I will definitely be over filtering the tank. It came with a filter and I bought a Fluval U2 ( traded out bio stuff for biohome mini ultra) and a small sponge filter for the tank.

Thanks, Fishguy, I was hoping I could get more electric green for Lonely Guy. I will definitely be over filtering the tank. It came with a filter and I bought a Fluval U2 ( traded out bio stuff for biohome mini ultra) and a small sponge filter for the tank.

Some may disagree, cause I could be wrong. But I would try, with a close eye.

Thanks again, Fishguy 1111, I'll probably end up like everyone else and 6-12 months down the road buy a big aquarium for Lonely Guy and his pals & Maniac and his victims. (Going broke on all the aquarium stuff right now) But, experience is the best teacher.

I've been banging my head on wall for all my stupid mistakes along this fish road.

I wanted a drip valve and ended up ordering a valve the size of my fist from Amazon. ( put the valve in a "future" box and still need a drip valve for slower acclimation of new fish. )

I'd love to see your tanks and those 4 platys. I'll post mine after I get it finished.

I've been waiting on a reusable bed pad to protect the sturdy table. But the fabric side of the bed pad feels a little scratchy, so off to fabric store for flannel to put under it. After taxes and fabric store, my 10gallon should be up and cycled in a week. All plants and rocks have been in cycled quarantine tanks plus I'll be adding Dr. Tim's bacteria. I'll post pics and message you when I'm squared away. Thank you so much for helping me about my dilemma with Lonely Guy and suggesting I keep Maniac in isolation a few days after the others are in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom