10 gallon stocking questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sprite

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
While I wait for my tank to cycle (I'm giving it at least a week, although I am using seachem stability), I was wondering what I could stock in there? For the record, it is a planted tank. I like Celestial Pearl Danios and found someone that sells Corydoras habrosus (sic). I definitely like the catfeesh. I was thinking maybe: 1 betta 6 catfeesh or ? number of Celestial Danios 4-6 dwarf cories Red Cherry Shrimps Or... something with a dwarf gourami? Those guys are precious. :3

Welcome to the site. It sounds like you have done some nano fish research which is awesome! Cpd with the habrosus corys and a dg would be fine IMO. :)
Do you want suggestions of any other nanos for that tank, or are you pretty set on the ones you said?
Do you have a test kit to be able to tell how the cycle is going? Seachem stability has mixed results, its doesn't always work. So, using a test kit is a good idea. What are you doing to dose ammonia to keep the bb alive?

Whoo! Thanks. Um. If I went with the Celestial Danios and the dwarf cories, how many of each could I get? Or if I got a dwarf gourami, would it be him and catfish or could I put some other fellows in? I have an idea on what fits I think, but I am curious about how many exactly so I don't overload them. Two replies! Thank you. Suggestions are welcome. I put some fish food in to kick start the bacteria nomming. Should I add ammonia? I've had a devil of a time finding some without perfumes in it. Edit: And I think I can snag some media from a friend. Thank you guys. And yes, fishless cycling. I feel a bit mean just tossing someone in there to kick start it. And I bought an API master test kit before I started cycling. That should be a good brand I think.

Hi and welcome to the forum. Are you fishless cycling? It'll definitely take more than a week to get the tank established unless you are using seeded media. I wouldn't trust stability all that much, when I tested it the results were pretty poor. Either way, with bacteria boosters in general it's a good idea not to really put too much faith in them and just let your test results guide your plan of action.

As far as your stocking goes, I'd probably go with 6 CPD's, 4-6 pygmy or habrosus cory, and a few RCS. I wouldn't put the betta in there at all personally, and if you are set on having him in there make sure you are willing to accept it if he doesn't like tankmates at all.

Yea, if you want to cycle correctly, you really need to plan on about a month to get the tank to fully cycle. Otherwise, you have to to very frequent (perhpas daily) water changes to keep water parameters from getting dangerous to the fish.

If you want a dg, you could still do some tankmates with him IMO. You get a few different opinions about though.
Some other fish to look at are ember tetras, dwarf spotted rasbora, clown killifish and Asian stone catfish. There are other nano options as well, but those are a few ones.
Sparkling gouramis are small than dg and can make good centerpiece fish for a small tank too. :)

This moves quickly. ^^; 1) It's a planted tank with plants from a reliable breeder. 2) I am adding seachem daily. 3) My seed source of ammonia is some fish food/a frozen fish food cube. I may ask around about some seeded media but I don't know many folks in my area.

Ok. That all sounds fine. :) Do you have a test kit? Thats really the best way to know how the cycle is coming in this case.
If you don't own one yet, I recommend the API master test kit. A different liquid kit is ok too, just don't strips because they are pretty inaccurate. :)

Yeah, I bought the API test kit long before I got my aquarium substrate in. >< I invested in eco complete substrate. Dr. Foster's is keen. If I get 6 CPDs, would they be happy and not shy in a planted tank? I hate to scare my poor critters.

Somebody who researched before buying fish and bought a test kit? You rock. Lol.
Have you been doing parameter tests to see how the cycle is coming along?

I'm working on it! I tested my tap water. If it got any harder, rocks would shoot out of my faucet. I haven't filled it up yet because the stand was missing several panels (ARGH AMERIWOOD. So many angry faces! And it turned my hands BLACK from touching it! Don't even get me started on some of the holes not even being drilled in...). I'm just trying to see how many fishies I could have and what to look for during cycling. My plants are being held until I am good and ready. I can put them in the first day right? I have two plant books (They are fun to read and drool over. @_@). My tank is a 10 gallon I was gifted for Christmas and I've been purchasing gear bit by bit. A canister filter should be okay?

I see. Sorry for jumping ahead of you. :)
I don't know much about specific filters, but in general you want to look at the specific gallon per hour rating rather than what tank size the box says its for. Lots of people really like canister filters though. :)

No worries, thank you for mentioning it. It's hard to pick a filter it is. I'm also going to admit I'm horribly indecisive when it comes to choosing my fish (I can't love and feed and look after all of them!? What's up with that? Look at those betta faces and ooh, tetras~ But I have to keep that urge on a nice, tight leash for the sake of my critters. Actually, I should probably ship it to Bermuda for a weekend.) But um, thank you and I'm quite flattered. I'm a bit shy but I've had buckets of questions I felt I should ask because I truly would feel bad killing my pet fish. :(

Back
Top Bottom