10 Gallon Stocking Thoughts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Endless Ocean in My House

Aquarium Advice Regular
My dad wanted red-tail black sharks for his FW 10 gal. Not an option.
He might just go for a few mollies, but I'm trying to find a few ideas for him.

What can we put in a 10 gallon? Freshwater is not my specialty so I could use a little advice. I don't know much of what's compatible with what without the helpful "Aggressive / Slightly Aggressive / Community" stickers which aren't as common in my LPS.
Thanks!
:fish1:

Here's and idea 4 mollies, 1 male 3 female and gourami/ram/BN pleco/3 danios/others

I'm no expert but I don't think there is really much as far as aggressive or semi-aggressive fish that you could keep in a 10gal. I always feel that the smaller the tank the harder to stock. lol.

PP has an idea with some mollies and a center piece fish like a gourami though I don't think I'd keep any Pleco in a 10 gal. Bristlenose grow to be like.. 4 1/2 inch and it's recommended they be kept in about 30 gal I believe and not so sure about the Ram. Someone may know better on that.

Another option if you don't want to risk the pet store giving you wrong sexes with the mollies could be some neons tetras instead and again stick with the gourami

How about a nice school of micro fish with a centerpiece fish. Green neon tetras come to mind as well as galaxy rasboras, chili rasboras, or Pygmy sunfish(the males are especially beautiful)

Thanks to all: I wasn't sure about the pleco myself. My sister had one that got bigger until she liberated him in the lake. This is when I was much younger. Regardless, I don't think I'll be trying that.

Brox said:
Here's and idea 4 mollies, 1 male 3 female and gourami/ram/BN pleco/3 danios/others

No rams, no mollies, no danios, no plecos, and MAYBE a gourami

You could do:

1 sparkling gourami (or one dwarf)
4 pygmy or dwarf cory
3 guppies

Or instead of the guppies you could do a small school of 6 nano fish like ember tetra, chili rasbora or celestial pearl danio, or endler's livebearers.

Brox said:

Yep too small for BN Pleco, DEFINATLY too samll for the mollies and the danios need a school of six plus and need to be in 20 or larger :)

This is insane.

The mollies, gouramis and pleco all require larger tanks. Where are you doing your species research?

10 gallons is pretty small. Small tanks = small species. Which isn't a bad thing. My favorite tank is my 16 gallon red cherry shrimp tank. Small can be fascinating but you have to plan well.

I thought that was a little crazy too.
Regardless, my father went behind my back and bought himself four mollies. Two died already. Any advice? I'm doing a water change today and I'm going to add some warm water because it *might* be the fact that the tank is so **** cold.
He might need a new heater.

Endless Ocean in My House said:
I thought that was a little crazy too.
Regardless, my father went behind my back and bought himself four mollies. Two died already. Any advice? I'm doing a water change today and I'm going to add some warm water because it *might* be the fact that the tank is so **** cold.
He might need a new heater.

Can you show him websites like this
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+1101+2089&pcatid=2089

So he sees it's not just us saying a 10g isn't big enough for Mollies ?

They probably died from Ammonia. 4 Mollies can easily make a 10g toxic esp if he dumped the bag water in the tank.

I'd match the water temp. Adding warm water will just make the tank temp rise then fall again. Stability is more important. Black Molllies ( if that's the species) are very prone to Ich in adverse conditions IME.

Back
Top Bottom