10 gallon tank stocking questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lucille

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there. I consider myself a newbie because I've only had betta fish until now. I tried to start a tank with some harlequin rasboras, but I admit I didn't do enough research, so all except 2 of them died. So now I would like to reestablish my 10 gallon tank with some harlequins, and hopefully a few Panda Corydoras later. How many? What substrate? Any advice anyone can give me would be great. Thanks :D

I would do some research on fishless cycling of your tank. It is the easier method to getting your tank going. I would also look into the API test kit. You have to use that to test ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels. If ammonia and nitrite aren't at 0, your fish will most likely not survive unless you are doing water changes constantly.

As for the fish, I've never kept rasboras, but they look very cool. I did add panda cories 2 weeks ago. They are super active and do like to be in a group of 3+. Most websites will say cories like sand, but I've kept them in different substrates and have never had issues. I would stay away from very rough substrates as it can hurt their barbells.Wen you are ready to add fish, I would suggest starting with 1-2 and then waiting a month between adding more. If you add too fast, it can overwhelm the filter and cause problems.

Harlequins are great!

Definitely get your tank cycled first. API master test kit is the most accurate and cost effective tool to measure your water parameters.

Sand is very good for bottom dwellers. It's also very easy to clean. Are you adding plants?

Thanks for the advice! I have an API test kit, and used that for fish-in cycling, because I've done that with my bettas with no issues. The guy at my LFS told me I didn't have to quarantine the rasboras and that it would be fine to put 4-5 in at once and cycle with them in the tank. I'm sorry I didn't do more of my own research first.:facepalm:

Thanks for the advice! I have an API test kit, and used that for fish-in cycling, because I've done that with my bettas with no issues. The guy at my LFS told me I didn't have to quarantine the rasboras and that it would be fine to put 4-5 in at once and cycle with them in the tank. I'm sorry I didn't do more of my own research first.:facepalm:

I think 4-5 Harlequins will be okay once the tank is cycled. Pet store people can be very good, but often they are not. Many people say just don't trust their word at all. If you find a solid reputable place, then you can trust them.

More research is always good. Honestly I don't think it's possible to know too much.

Yeah, this fish store has been good for basic supplies and reliable advice on Bettas, so I just assumed I could trust them about this too.

I have another question. It's cheaper to get blasting sand as substrate, but I'm afraid that the "coarse grade" stuff I have will be too rough for the cories I want to get. Should I just spend a little more to get smooth sand that won't hurt their barbells?

Back
Top Bottom