100 Gal Tall Hex Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Clare

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi -
Posted over in the New to Site Room and only received one response, so I thought I would dive right in to this Forum and ask for help.....
I just recently acquired a 100 gallon tall (36") hex tank - came with a nice stand, no cover, a fairly new Eheim Professional II FIlter, a TetraTec Deep Water Pump and a light fixture - all came to me for free, I did not choose any of the equipment. I have researched it all and seems like I got a good deal.
I have done tanks up to 55 gallons before and currently have a 40 f/w community tank which is doing very well. But this tank seems daunting and TALL....any suggestions for a successful set up would be appreciated. Any pics out there of one already scaped and populated would be great - not too many on the web that I can find. Anything else you all can relay to me that you deem helpful would be great too. I am leaning towards another community tank, but not sure which species would do well in so deep a tank; also want to go with a sand strata - any thoughts? Thanks in advance for your comments.....
Cheers,
Clarisse

I'm not really a fan of tall tanks, but free is really hard to pass up. How wide is the tank across from flat side to flat side?

I really like the sand substrate in my tanks. There are a lot of cheap choices out there for sand: play sand, PFS, etc. Just be careful, it can eat filters.

Tall fish or small fish are good options for a hex tank. Angels or discus come to mind.

100 Hex

Hi, Jim.....it is 26.5" across and about 29.5" on the diagonal. I was thinking of sand but was concerned about the filter and keeping it clean in so tall a tank LOL My arm is going to have to grow to vacuum LOL
The last person who had it had a breeding pair of angels in it. I will probably go with a community tank - perhaps 3-4 angels so they don't fight too much and then perhaps a pleco or cat fothe bottom and some schooling tetras. The chiclids are hard to pass up, but they are so aggressive, except for my little rams LOL I also like to look of my current 40 gal with all the wood and the tannin colored water but am not sure how appealing that would be in so tall a tank??? Don't really want two tanks with the same scheme, so I guess I will research more while it cycles. That's all part of the fun anyway :)
Thanks & Cheers,
Clarisse

Hey, just thought about this - where can I get a cover for it? Any suggestions? I have searched the web and guess I will wind up at Tap Plastcis LOL
Clarisse

Thanks, dkpate :) Found a glass guy today who will make me a top with a hinged opening and cutouts in back for my pipes, hoses, etc....
should only be around 50 bucks, lightweight enough for me to lift off & I can rest my light fixture right on top - I am good with that.

Back
Top Bottom