100 galls freshwater fishless cycle problems.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Staffy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am in the 7th week of a fishless cycle. My tank is 100 galls. I had been adding ammonia every day to 3ppm. I seem to be getting nowhere. The ammonia was coming down to 0 but now is staying on 2ppm consistently, the nitrites are off the scale still, PH is up to 8. I am using an API test kit. I know something is happening & all the instructions say wait, but does anyone know how long it will take to cycle, if ever? Do I do a water change or just carry on as I am? The tank is also on full algae bloom & has been so most of the time.

Do you have any seeded media from a healthy tank you could add? 8 weeks is a long time but not unheard of. Your high nitrites indicate that conversion is happening. What type of algae are you having and are you running your lights?
You really shouldn't have to do water changes. Just leave it alone....it will happen one day!

Newbie with 100gl fishless cycle problem.

I have been running my lights for 12hrs a day because I had plants,had plants because for whatever reason they all died.I've never had that happen before.I blame their demise on the thick green algae bloom that I've had from virtually the beginning plus thread algae which was everywhere.Perhaps they couldn't get enough light,but I don't know.
I have 2 Clown loaches,8 Harlequins&5 assorted Corys in a 20gl tank and I have thought about seeding from this, but I have got a black beard(?) algae in it,and don't want to transfer this to my new tank.
I thought on reading about "the fishless cycle" it would be comparatively easy to get up and running,I should have read more about the hazards I think.
My ammonia 5 days ago was 4ppm,today with no amm. added in that time, it's down to 1ppm and holding,nitrite is the usual 5+ppm,nitrate has peaked and PH is still 8ppm.:banghead::thanks:

When doing a fish less cycle I water change to keep nitrite to about 1-2 and nitrate to about 40-80, any higher and you can't see any progress as you are way off the colour chart. I keep the ammonia up at 4.
Your aim is for 4ppm ammonia to be converted to zero with zero nitrites after 24 hrs and I think that expecting the nitrite to nitrate bacteria to deal with greater than 5ppm nitrite is expecting too much, you will wait for ever for that to happen.
Only my experience, for what it's worth. Good luck with the tank, 100g, I'm jealous! ?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I am in the 7th week of a fishless cycle. My tank is 100 galls. I had been adding ammonia every day to 3ppm. I seem to be getting nowhere. The ammonia was coming down to 0 but now is staying on 2ppm consistently, the nitrites are off the scale still, PH is up to 8. I am using an API test kit. I know something is happening & all the instructions say wait, but does anyone know how long it will take to cycle, if ever? Do I do a water change or just carry on as I am? The tank is also on full algae bloom & has been so most of the time.

hey there! I'm also new but just sharing my thought because recently just done my cycle. you should turn off your light, Crank your heater up and get the water temperature between 77-86 degrees and pH 8 is a little bit high, maybe is time to do pwc. i did add a bit fish flakes maybe you can try that. what is your nitrates reading?

Ph of 8 is awesome for cycling. 8.2 is a commonly recommended number.

Can you house the plants in a bucket with some light for a bit? Definitely want those lights off.

I don't recommend water changes during a cycle unless something is really wrong. You can get the test in a readable zone by diluting 1 part tank water in 9 parts distilled, then test that and multiply the results by 10.

That's also a good check for whether you're really at 3 ppm ammonia. You shouldn't have to keep adding.

I'd remove plants, black out the tank, keep it above 80, ph 8 or more (baking soda helps), keep the water level low for lots of aeration.

Or possibly even shelter the filter media in a bucket, take out all the tank water, clean out the algae, treat the substrate with h2o2, then start over.

I hear good things about Dr Tims bacteria treatment.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

English guy with 100gl fishless cycle problem.

Thank you so much for your help and suggestions.:dance:
The 1:9 water check has given me fresh hope,my nitrite reading is actually 2.0-2.5ppm which is far better than the previous 5.0ppm I was reading!
The ammonia is still holding at 1.0ppm.Should I increase this to 3ppm do you think? I was waiting to see whether it would actually go to 0ppm or whether it was actually stalling, as it was taking so long to come down this time.
I had the lights on purely for the plants,but all have died except for 3 moss balls,so sounds good to keep them off.
The PH has dropped to 7.8 now,do you think I should adjust to 8.2?:thanks:

hey there! I'm also new but just sharing my thought because recently just done my cycle. you should turn off your light, Crank your heater up and get the water temperature between 77-86 degrees and pH 8 is a little bit high, maybe is time to do pwc. i did add a bit fish flakes maybe you can try that. what is your nitrates reading?
Hi there,thanks for responding.My plants all died, except for 3 moss balls, so now I will take your advice and switch the lights off to give the bacteria a better chance.
I have my tank heater on max which is about 82 degrees,the PH is now running at 7.8,nitrites are now 2.5ppm,amm is holding at 1.0ppm over the last few days.
I would like to try the fish flake idea,but how much do you suggest? :thanks:

Hi there,thanks for responding.My plants all died, except for 3 moss balls, so now I will take your advice and switch the lights off to give the bacteria a better chance.
I have my tank heater on max which is about 82 degrees,the PH is now running at 7.8,nitrites are now 2.5ppm,amm is holding at 1.0ppm over the last few days.
I would like to try the fish flake idea,but how much do you suggest? :thanks:

pleasure to help, it is really amazing for me when the tank is fully cycled i want you to share the same feeling too. :) I would suggest adding the ammonia to 3ppm,there is no need to let it drop to 0ppm and nitrite will grow very quickly at this time. i added quiet a lot fish flakes and it's very nasty last time, so i'm not sure how much you need to add. maybe a teaspoon? (sorry for bad english and please let us know how's the progress) :)))))

Ph of 8 is awesome for cycling. 8.2 is a commonly recommended number.

Can you house the plants in a bucket with some light for a bit? Definitely want those lights off.

I don't recommend water changes during a cycle unless something is really wrong. You can get the test in a readable zone by diluting 1 part tank water in 9 parts distilled, then test that and multiply the results by 10.

That's also a good check for whether you're really at 3 ppm ammonia. You shouldn't have to keep adding.

I'd remove plants, black out the tank, keep it above 80, ph 8 or more (baking soda helps), keep the water level low for lots of aeration.

Or possibly even shelter the filter media in a bucket, take out all the tank water, clean out the algae, treat the substrate with h2o2, then start over.

I hear good things about Dr Tims bacteria treatment.

+1...Yup

Thank you so much for your help and suggestions.:dance:
The 1:9 water check has given me fresh hope,my nitrite reading is actually 2.0-2.5ppm which is far better than the previous 5.0ppm I was reading!
The ammonia is still holding at 1.0ppm.Should I increase this to 3ppm do you think? I was waiting to see whether it would actually go to 0ppm or whether it was actually stalling, as it was taking so long to come down this time.
I had the lights on purely for the plants,but all have died except for 3 moss balls,so sounds good to keep them off.
The PH has dropped to 7.8 now,do you think I should adjust to 8.2?:thanks:

7.8 is still in the good range for cycling. Just keep an eye on it. It would really help you to get some healthy media in there from another tank. I don't think I would use any from your 20g with your BBA outbreak. That stuff is a nightmare. It is curable in most instances though, so ultimately your decision, but finding some and getting it in your filter would tremendously speed things along.

pleasure to help, it is really amazing for me when the tank is fully cycled i want you to share the same feeling too. :) I would suggest adding the ammonia to 3ppm,there is no need to let it drop to 0ppm and nitrite will grow very quickly at this time. i added quiet a lot fish flakes and it's very nasty last time, so i'm not sure how much you need to add. maybe a teaspoon? (sorry for bad english and please let us know how's the progress) :)))))
Thank you for your help,your English is great and far superior to my Malaysian! I will certainly let you know of my progress:flowers:

When doing a fish less cycle I water change to keep nitrite to about 1-2 and nitrate to about 40-80, any higher and you can't see any progress as you are way off the colour chart. I keep the ammonia up at 4.
Your aim is for 4ppm ammonia to be converted to zero with zero nitrites after 24 hrs and I think that expecting the nitrite to nitrate bacteria to deal with greater than 5ppm nitrite is expecting too much, you will wait for ever for that to happen.
Only my experience, for what it's worth. Good luck with the tank, 100g, I'm jealous! ?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
Thanks for your advice,there is loads of differing advice from going into different forums,I'm sure all work eventually,but all add to the confusion for somebody like me.
I still have an algae bloom but I'm sure it's diminishing since turning the lights out.The temp.is 82 degrees,Nitrite is 2.5ppm, Nitrate 80ppm, pH7.8, Ammonia 4.0ppm.
The amm.ppm isn't falling very quickly but somehow I feel it's getting there..... fingers crossed! Thanks again for your help.:cool:

7.8 is still in the good range for cycling. Just keep an eye on it. It would really help you to get some healthy media in there from another tank. I don't think I would use any from your 20g with your BBA outbreak. That stuff is a nightmare. It is curable in most instances though, so ultimately your decision, but finding some and getting it in your filter would tremendously speed things along.
:thanks: It appears my tank is virtually in a stall mode, its taking 4-5 days to bring the ammonia down from 4 to 2ppm,I'm now trying ground flake for a kick start but how much do I use?
Another source of healthy media is an excellent idea,but here it is difficult to find, because of the filtration systems used commercially or lack of interest on there part to help:fish2:.... but I'm still looking!

2ppm is commonly accepted these days over 4ppm. I've seen several people this year successfully cycle with 2.

Glad it's going better!

Back
Top Bottom