10G goldfish tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

h8z2luze

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I got a 10G tank for our 4 goldfish. Not sure what to do here... I have had SW before but I know it is different. Will the goldfish survive the cycle? They were the G/F's impulse buy... HELP!!!

Depending on the type of goldfish, a 10G will not be big enough. Not to mention they are dirty fish. Others here know more about goldfish. A picture would probably help to id them and thus help with advise.

they should. i would do daily water changes until its done. like spoonman said.... goldfish will not work in a 10 gallon.

what do goldfish need? They are kept in bowls lol...

Anyway here is a couple pics. Hard to get good ones...

I told the kid he could decorate it since its his tank... Hence all the fake plants and blue gravel lol.

svo38k.jpg

259izjp.jpg

fba5j.jpg

what do goldfish need? They are kept in bowls lol...
and very wrongfully so. no fish should be kept in bowls. goldfish get to be 10-12 inch. most people say 30 gallon min plus i think its like 15 for each additional one. not a big fan of coldwater so i might be wrong..... they are also very dirty and require large filtration.

Well this info is gonna hit you hard (do to the fact most goldfish are sold in tiny bowls). Most goldfish lots of space. The rule of thumb for goldfish i use is 30g for the 1st goldfish then a additional 15g of water for the other goldfish. Goldfish are dirty fish and you should not be afraid of over filtering these fish. Also unlike most fish they look well over corny decor (unlike most fish). As for the kind of goldfish i have no clue (no experience when it comes to goldfish). And i do believe it is wrong to stuff a fish that grows large into a tiny bowl.

Dropsy might be infesting the 1 peach goldfish. Can't tell do to the picture being far away. I would need closer pictures to tell you for sure. But there tends to be screwy types of goldfish.

Dropsy is a fish disease that is not really a disease. It's really an internal bacterial infection usually caused by poor water quality. If it is it might have been from were they came from before (being kept in dirty water). Are the fish's scales protruding at all? That is 1 way you can tell. But it might not be dropsy, it would be hard to tell. Like i said there are many kinds of goldfish out there that are screwy.

Fish dropsy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Aquarium Fish - Dropsy - Disease Identification, Diagnosis & Treatment

It might not be as severe as the ones in the picture of the websites or could just be nothing at all.

It was in a tank with a bunch of other goldfish that looked just like it i think its a breed...

Yep, looks like dropsy to me. At least IMO it does. The scales look like there protruding to me. Wait for another opinion but it looks like it to me.

Give me a sec to look for something.

*EDIT*
False alarm. I guess it more safe then sorry. You learned somethin new, look at it that way. Told you i didn't know my goldfish. I am defiantly gonna do some research on goldfish.

It is aPearlscale Goldfish.
http://www.aqualifefish.com/images/Pearlscalegoldfish.jpg
http://www.desktopgoldfish.com/goldfish-types.php?func=fishDetail&fish=Pearlscale

Yep, looks like dropsy to me. At least IMO it does. The scales look like there protruding to me. Wait for another opinion but it looks like it to me.

Give me a sec to look for something.

*EDIT*
False alarm. I guess it more safe then sorry. You learned somethin new, look at it that way. Told you i didn't know my goldfish. I am defiantly gonna do some research on goldfish.

It is aPearlscale Goldfish.
http://www.aqualifefish.com/images/Pearlscalegoldfish.jpg
Types of Goldfish Species from Desktop Goldfish

It is not dropsy. I scared you for no reason. I did some research on goldfish. I was WRONG. Reread my post. I have no exp. with goldfish when it comes to knowing there individual species.

I think your other goldfish are fantail goldfish as well. Doing research about goldfish to change this fact about me.

It is not dropsy. I scared you for no reason. I did some research on goldfish. I was WRONG. Reread my post. I have no exp. with goldfish when it comes to knowing there individual species.

I think your other goldfish are fantail goldfish as well. Doing research about goldfish to change this fact about me.

haha well i learned something anyway! So Im wondering now if I should just stop before i get into it... Take them to the lfs and let the tank cycle and get some tropical FW fish to put in it. He REALLY wants a catfish... Whats ok to put in a 10g??

lots of things are good in a 10g. Any small tetras would be good. You could put upside down catfish in, there a neat spectacle considering they swim upside down. But you don't see them ever do to them being nocturnal. I have 2 in my 10 gallon but they don't come out during the day. But conveniently 1 of there hiding places for the day is clearly visible (not a good hiding place, he must be blind). I would say since this is for your son i would do corydoras. Very active and fun to watch, i have 3 in my 10g but want 1 more. There are other options as long as you stay small.

How many tetras can you put in a 10g? Also can you have tetras and a catfish? I think this is the one we saw that he wants lol...

shark-catfish-1.jpg

I still don't like goldies..

xD

If I were to get one though, I'd probably get 2 max in a 10g.

My daughters (4 and 7) both have 10G tanks in thier rooms. One has 5 neon tetras, 3 zebra danios and a small breed pleco (he was put in after tank was established). The other tank has 6 neon tetras, 3 zebra danios, 1 dwarf flame gourami and 1 small breed pleco (also put in after tank was established). I personally think both tanks are at the limit for fish but I am diligent with water changes and filtration. Both tanks are colorful and active.

Back
Top Bottom