10g stock options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evansbradley

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I'm still looking for additions to my tank. Right now I have one bristlenose Pleco about 1.5inches, 3 tad poles about 2 inches, and a kuhli loach about 2.5-3 inches.

I'm looking for some top water fish, colorful fish, maybe even a small predator (if one exists), really just open to any suggestions. I want some mid to upper level action in the tank.

10 gal

Think of the golden rule when stocking a tank."An inch of fish for every gallon of water"Allow for the adult size.Your pleco will get to be about 5" or so.The amount of fish your tank has already sounds like it fully stocked.

Think of the golden rule when stocking a tank."An inch of fish for every gallon of water"Allow for the adult size.Your pleco will get to be about 5" or so.The amount of fish your tank has already sounds like it fully stocked.

yes and no. YES allow for that adult size. It comes quickly, but in a small tank it won't grow as fast causing death leading to a quicker death.
evansbradley said:
So I'm still looking for additions to my tank. Right now I have one bristlenose Pleco about 1.5inches, 3 tad poles about 2 inches, and a kuhli loach about 2.5-3 inches.

I'm looking for some top water fish, colorful fish, maybe even a small predator (if one exists), really just open to any suggestions. I want some mid to upper level action in the tank.
A few comments. Bristlenose plecos are smaller than the common pleco. Good job. But they need bigger than 10, but I can overlook that seeing as it won't get big that quickly. The other negative aspect is that plecos in general eat algae. A new tank has no algae. So I pray that you bought some algae wafers so the poor guy doesn't starve. If you haven't go get some and continue reading this. The tadpoles are in red because they grow up to be frogs. Those grow up to EAT FISH. Yes, they WILL eat your fish especially because those are probably just good ol' bullfrog tadpoles. Second they will need a land area when they start maturing and 10 gallons is way to small for those frogs. The Loach is in blue because it NEEDS hiding space which you may or may not have and it needs a 30 gallon. This fish dies from stress, so I don't give it that long. All in all your first stock is a common starter mistake. I recommend trading in the tadpoles for something or at least giving them back. If you want to keep them make it a tadpole only tank. The pleco is fine you can leave it, but bigger is always better. The loach is fine too and same advice. I recommend some nice Danio! Tetra and Rasboras of all kinds work too. I say you should buy a school of 5 Danio (Zebra) and a platy for some color. Hell even guppies would be nice. If you need any clarification or more help just ask. PS want a small predator? Betta and Dwarf Gourami are good at top level predators. My female betta is a beast at hunting.

Danios really need more room to swim.

I wouldn't suggest adding anything to the tank, though the fish store will say it's fine.

If you can return the fish you have, consider a few schools of very small fish.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

yes and no. YES allow for that adult size. It comes quickly, but in a small tank it won't grow as fast causing death leading to a quicker death.

A few comments. Bristlenose plecos are smaller than the common pleco. Good job. But they need bigger than 10, but I can overlook that seeing as it won't get big that quickly. The other negative aspect is that plecos in general eat algae. A new tank has no algae. So I pray that you bought some algae wafers so the poor guy doesn't starve. If you haven't go get some and continue reading this. The tadpoles are in red because they grow up to be frogs. Those grow up to EAT FISH. Yes, they WILL eat your fish especially because those are probably just good ol' bullfrog tadpoles. Second they will need a land area when they start maturing and 10 gallons is way to small for those frogs. The Loach is in blue because it NEEDS hiding space which you may or may not have and it needs a 30 gallon. This fish dies from stress, so I don't give it that long. All in all your first stock is a common starter mistake. I recommend trading in the tadpoles for something or at least giving them back. If you want to keep them make it a tadpole only tank. The pleco is fine you can leave it, but bigger is always better. The loach is fine too and same advice. I recommend some nice Danio! Tetra and Rasboras of all kinds work too. I say you should buy a school of 5 Danio (Zebra) and a platy for some color. Hell even guppies would be nice. If you need any clarification or more help just ask. PS want a small predator? Betta and Dwarf Gourami are good at top level predators. My female betta is a beast at hunting.

I'm looking to upgrade fairly soon! I do have algae wafers, and as the tadpoles mature I am switching them to a different tank as well. I've found out over time that basically anything under 30 gallons seems to be too small for most fish, so I'm looking to upgrade in a few weeks or so.

Back
Top Bottom