10g tank "do over"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meldusa000

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So, typical newbie mistakes made. Got a tank, put in some water, got some fish. All three lost within 3 weeks.

I've done some research and am ready to start over.

We'd like some peaceful school fish with color.I'm looking at white clouds, danios and tetras.

I'm going with artificial plants for now - want to concentrate on keeping the fish alive first!!

I'm starting a fishless cycle beginning with where the water is from the previous fish (or should I scrap it all and start fresh?). I'll be getting a master test kit soon. *should I be worried if the pet store used test strips when I went to get my water tested? She used the same strips I bought, then did an ammonia test with a test tube. Just thought it was strange since I now know the strips aren't 100% accurate...

So, what recommendations, tips and advice to you have for me?

If your fish died from ammonia levels, then reusing your water is probably fine, as your cycle is probably almost finished by now, but if they died by some disease that might be present in the tank, you might want to tear it down and start over. The water isn't as big of a deal as the decorations, gravel/sand, and the filter, as this is where everything lives and will probably hide out for awhile.

Test strips are known for being inaccurate, and me and quite a few other people have gotten a liquid API test kit from walmart for like $18

Walmart.com: Freshwater Master Test Kit: Fish

to be safe, just start all over, you never know if your fish died of a disease like krap101 said

as for everything else, you are fine, just post in the right section next time ^_^

i am also starting a 20g high tank, returned my 30g because my RTS plan didnt work out =[ i am going for some type of schooling fish + betta + corys, so yea ^_^ lets share some ideas

If your fish died from ammonia levels, then reusing your water is probably fine, as your cycle is probably almost finished by now, but if they died by some disease that might be present in the tank, you might want to tear it down and start over. The water isn't as big of a deal as the decorations, gravel/sand, and the filter, as this is where everything lives and will probably hide out for awhile.

Test strips are known for being inaccurate, and me and quite a few other people have gotten a liquid API test kit from walmart for like $18

Walmart.com: Freshwater Master Test Kit: Fish

+1. If you want to be safe and can be patient I would suggest starting all over from scratch. I personally also wouldn't trust the strips. The LFS don't know what they are talking about half the time so take what they say with caution.

Back
Top Bottom