10Gal Community Fish Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Duydawg

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i went to the aquarium yesterday and saw some really cool tropical fish.

I really liked how the neon tetras were SO active. They were in a small school and would dart back and forth together. I really like that.

I currently have 1 dwarf frog, two freshwater clams about 1-2 inches, and an apple snail.

I would like to add
A school (4-6) neon tetras
a betta fish
And one more dwarf frog.

Could this be possible in a 10 gallon? ( in addition to my current community) ?

Attachments

• IMG_0372.jpg
    IMG_0372.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 80
Hi, unfortunately no. Neons are small but as you've seen very active and they should be in a larger tank to give them ample room to swim; you probably wouldn't see their normal behaviors in a tank that small. FYI dwarf frogs are social and should be at least in a pair or trio. Also is the tank new? Is it cycled?

If you want fish, I'd either upgrade your current setup or get a second larger tank.

Many times male bettas won't go with other fish, but some people have kept them in a community. I just put my betta in a 10 and am going to leave him alone. I don't want to chance it. It is a fish personality thing. You never know if it will work until you get all the fish together.

My tank is currently uncycled, I'm testing the ammonia at the moment and its been a few days. Ammonia level seems to remain at 4.0, so i have to be very patient.

my oldest dwarf frog ( with the most personality, I should add) passed away, so now I have a lone dwarf frog. It has something on it's back, not sure if its mold or shedding skin. If this last dwarf frog passes, I will not be buying anymore frogs.

EDIT: What fish would you members recommend for a 10 gallon tank?

As you can see in my picture, my theme of a "forgotten temple". I am trying to buy some java moss to grow on the gravel, and some plants to grow ontop of the tank, to give a "green canopy" appearance.

I would like some active fish that make good eye candy.

Attachments

• IMG_0373.jpg
    IMG_0373.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 70
Wait your ammonia is at 4.0 PPM.Also, what test kit are you using? Are you doing fishless or fish in cycle? If you are doing fish in do a water change.

I am doing a fishless cycle. The other fish i have are in their own little tank that I haven't posted above. I am using the API master kit

At the moment I am considering stocking my 10 gallon tank with

1) A betta sorority (3 female bettas)
2) One male betta and three dwarf frogs
3) 1-3 dwarf puffers

You can't dose ammonia in the tank with fish still in there!

I am doing a fishless cycle. The other fish i have are in their own little tank that I haven't posted above. I am using the API master kit

At the moment I am considering stocking my 10 gallon tank with

1) A betta sorority (3 female bettas)
2) One male betta and three dwarf frogs
3) 1-3 dwarf puffers

SO the frog isn't in the tank either right? WIth ammonia at 4 nothing living should be in there. Where are the fish and frogs now? If they are in a smaller tank or in another tank that isn't cycled you'll need to test that tank too and do water changes when ammonia or nitrite get above .25.

A betta sorority is hit and miss and to be done successfully you really need a larger number of bettas and a larger tank, so sorry no sorority in a 10. You could do one betta though; I have mine in a 10 gal and he has a lot of personality and often amuses me more than my tropical community tank.

Or you could do a few frogs in the 10, that would be good. Not sure if the betta would go well with the frogs, it'll depend on the betta's personality.

Or you could do two dwarf puffers in a 10, I wouldn't attempt more than that.

i had 5 neons and RCS in my sons 10, i upgraded it a little while ago but you could do the neons without the frogs and just the snail.
or do some rasboras or some endler live bearers

My frog passed away.

I now have 1 small apple snail, 1 tiny baby apply snail, and two freshwater clams.

I really like the appeal of 2-3 ADF and 1 male betta fish. The way I see it is that I will add much more plants and hiding spots. The frogs will dwell on the bottom, feeding and doing their normal behavior, and the betta fish will be roaming ontop.

I've been looking for dwarf puffers, but haven't had any luck locating them. I went to walmart, where I read supposedly has them, but did not find them. Instead I found a ton of mistreated fish :/\

2 weeks in, my fishless 10 gallon tank ammonia is still 4.0 and everything else is zero. I also broke one of my API test tubes :*(

Dwarf puffers are really mean and need to be in their own tank. I have yet to hear anyone able to keep them with anything else. Could it be done? Maybe, but really should keep them alone. If you want only 3 puffers keep 1 male and 2 females any more males and your looking at dead fish.

My frog passed away.

I now have 1 small apple snail, 1 tiny baby apply snail, and two freshwater clams.

I really like the appeal of 2-3 ADF and 1 male betta fish. The way I see it is that I will add much more plants and hiding spots. The frogs will dwell on the bottom, feeding and doing their normal behavior, and the betta fish will be roaming ontop.

I've been looking for dwarf puffers, but haven't had any luck locating them. I went to walmart, where I read supposedly has them, but did not find them. Instead I found a ton of mistreated fish :/\

2 weeks in, my fishless 10 gallon tank ammonia is still 4.0 and everything else is zero. I also broke one of my API test tubes :*(

I have 2 Male Bettas in indivual 10g tanks & they go all over the tank, top, bottom, middle, diagonal (LOL), I'm just saying they will interact at some point with anything else in the tank. Have a back up plan in case it doesn't work out. I have not put anything other than a Mystery snail in with each of them just because I don't want to chance it not working. As for the test tube, you can purchase replacement tubes either through Amazon or a medical supply store.

My GF wanted a male beta so I got her one and put it in our 40g community with some mollies and danios without a problem. She then decided she wanted him in a bowl on her desk so I let her try it out. About two weeks in I noticed the water was a little cold and she was also over the bowl changes already heh. So back to the 40g, but I had gotten a pair of German blue rams. The beta never reacted at all to any of the others but almost immediately started showing dominance and posturing at them. The best part was the rams they went totally honey badger stared him down for about 10 minutes then he gave up. They have been living peacefully for the last two weeks.

My GF wanted a male beta so I got her one and put it in our 40g community with some mollies and danios without a problem. She then decided she wanted him in a bowl on her desk so I let her try it out. About two weeks in I noticed the water was a little cold and she was also over the bowl changes already heh. So back to the 40g, but I had gotten a pair of German blue rams. The beta never reacted at all to any of the others but almost immediately started showing dominance and posturing at them. The best part was the rams they went totally honey badger stared him down for about 10 minutes then he gave up. They have been living peacefully for the last two weeks.

a 40 gallon tank is much bigger than a 10 gallon. I really wish I got atleast a 20 gallon instead of this 10 gallon. :( spent over 100$ buying pieces instead of a kit. but you live and learn

Back
Top Bottom