10gal tank, planted advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Any kind of smaller Rasbora has great color. Boraras Briggitae (misspelled most likely) is also a good option.

Predfan27 said:
Any kind of smaller Rasbora has great color. Boraras Briggitae (misspelled most likely) is also a good option.

They do! I'm googling them.. It said related search, Dario Dario.. Those look pretty cool..

Personally, I'd go with some male Endlers. They have pretty color, swim at a higher strata I your tank, and they aren't shy.

Predfan27 said:
Personally, I'd go with some male Endlers. They have pretty color, swim at a higher strata I your tank, and they aren't shy.

Well you have more experience than I do.. & I read your thread, your tanks are really incredible.. hopefully I can get mine looking that way..! :thumbs:

Is there any specific light requirements to for those plants? Like a specific bulb type? Right now it's just basic Bulbs.. I got the tank from my uncle.. & filter wise.. Idk what it has on it, just know it takes Ez-Change #1 size Cartridges. Is that a good enough filter?

I should explain the shyness comment. Celestial Pearl Danios, although beautiful. Will be very shy in an aquarium. Which means you won't see them enough to appreciate their beauty. Dario Dario, or the Scarlet Badis, can also suffer from this. To add to that, if you get 2 males in your 10g, you could run the risk of not having enough space for them. In which case, the less dominate male may die.

That's why I suggest Endlers for your tank :)

fishfool58 said:
Well you have more experience than I do.. & I read your thread, your tanks are really incredible.. hopefully I can get mine looking that way..! :thumbs:

Is there any specific light requirements to for those plants? Like a specific bulb type? Right now it's just basic Bulbs.. I got the tank from my uncle.. & filter wise.. Idk what it has on it, just know it takes Ez-Change #1 size Cartridges. Is that a good enough filter?

Thank you :) :)

I don't suggest looking too much at the two 10g as far as plants go. I have high lighting, Flourite and soon some CO2 system. I'd look at my 5.5g Shrimp tank. That tank is lit up by a simple desk lamp and all the plants are doing great!

Low light plants like Anubias, Java Fern, Java Moss, and some Crypts can populate tanks quite well without any need for anything more than stock lighting.

Predfan27 said:
Thank you :) :)

I don't suggest looking too much at the two 10g as far as plants go. I have high lighting, Flourite and soon some CO2 system. I'd look at my 5.5g Shrimp tank. That tank is lit up by a simple desk lamp and all the plants are doing great!

Low light plants like Anubias, Java Fern, Java Moss, and some Crypts can populate tanks quite well without any need for anything more than stock lighting.

yeah, Endlers it is! & I like all your tanks.. I shall do that.. & how does Java Moss do? I saw some at a petstore, & it looked like it would be ridiculous to attend too? & do I need the CO2 system? & about a 2 inch fluorite bed? The Dario Dario do look incredible.. But they look like cichlids.. I'll just stick with the cichlids I'm getting for my 75 gallon tank in a couple months.. :p

fishfool58 said:
yeah, Endlers it is! & I like all your tanks.. I shall do that.. & how does Java Moss do? I saw some at a petstore, & it looked like it would be ridiculous to attend too? & do I need the CO2 system? & about a 2 inch fluorite bed? The Dario Dario do look incredible.. But they look like cichlids.. I'll just stick with the cichlids I'm getting for my 75 gallon tank in a couple months.. :p

Java Moss is incredibly easy to tend too. Heck, in my 5.5g I just threw it in the bottom and let it do it's own thing!

You do not need CO2. Plants need 3 things to grow and thrive. Water, CO2, and light. Supply one more than the other and plants can't utilize it. But algae will. So if you have regular lighting with CO2 injection, you'll probably run into algae among other problems.

The Flourite will be great! I use it just because it has extra macro nutrient plants want. Like I said in the last paragraph though. It's not completely necessary for low lights but I haven't seen any adverse effects in my 5.5g.

Scarlet Badis are reeeeally pretty fish (not exactly true, the males are really the only ones with color). They may very well work fine with your RCS should you choose the option. I've personal,y never done it!

A 75g Cichlid tank would be awesome!

Predfan27 said:
Java Moss is incredibly easy to tend too. Heck, in my 5.5g I just threw it in the bottom and let it do it's own thing!

You do not need CO2. Plants need 3 things to grow and thrive. Water, CO2, and light. Supply one more than the other and plants can't utilize it. But algae will. So if you have regular lighting with CO2 injection, you'll probably run into algae among other problems.

The Flourite will be great! I use it just because it has extra macro nutrient plants want. Like I said in the last paragraph though. It's not completely necessary for low lights but I haven't seen any adverse effects in my 5.5g.

Scarlet Badis are reeeeally pretty fish (not exactly true, the males are really the only ones with color). They may very well work fine with your RCS should you choose the option. I've personal,y never done it!

A 75g Cichlid tank would be awesome!

java moss just looks like it would be a pain though.. Ha. So stock lights, Fluorite, & water & all my plants will survive? :) & yeah.. I'll just stick with Endlers.. :p & yup.. I've got some Danios in it now.. I couldn't go 3-4 months without fish.. So I got some. I'm getting mine from a friend who breeds them.

Attachments

• image-445084264.jpg
    image-445084264.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 59
Ooh, & how Should my filter do? I also have a whisper 10-30i.. It was all given to me.. Idk how it's put together or what type the other is..

fishfool58 said:
java moss just looks like it would be a pain though.. Ha. So stock lights, Fluorite, & water & all my plants will survive? :) & yeah.. I'll just stick with Endlers.. :p & yup.. I've got some Danios in it now.. I couldn't go 3-4 months without fish.. So I got some. I'm getting mine from a friend who breeds them.

There are some problems that I noticed.

I have heard and seen pictures of assassin snails that can kill a shrimp. Once they get the taste for shrimp, there's no stoping them ;) lol

Stock lights for a 10G are usually incandescent lights, which will not grow much...at all. They also give off way too much heat than its worth. You can replace them with regular daylight (6500k) spiral CFL's. Two 10W's will give you enough light for crypts, java ferns, Anubias, most moss, etc :)

To keep the plants healthy, you'd want to dose the tank once a week with fertilizers. If you want a liquid fert, Seachems Flourish comprehensive is a good one.

If you do plan on keeping scarlet badis, be prepared to start some live food cultures such as Daphnia and microworms as scarlet badis usually will not accept prepared foods.

Also, once celestial pearl danios become used to seeing you and get accustomed to the tank, they will usually be out in the open most of the time and will not scare too easily. My school took about one and a half months to get comfortable. Also, the more there are, the more they will feel comfortable. Chili rasboras are my favorite shrimp tank fish because they will usually leave baby shrimp alone unlike celestial pearl danios.

Austin.b said:
Also, once celestial pearl danios become used to seeing you and get accustomed to the tank, they will usually be out in the open most of the time and will not scare too easily. My school took about one and a half months to get comfortable. Also, the more there are, the more they will feel comfortable. Chili rasboras are my favorite shrimp tank fish because they will usually leave baby shrimp alone unlike celestial pearl danios.

Well how will my filters do? & are Chili Rasboras better than Endlers? That's what I was set on.. & the only thing that didn't come with the tank is a heater.. I'll need on big enough for this, & the lights. Then I should be set. As long as I don't need the co2 system for it that's cool with me..

Austin.b said:
There are some problems that I noticed.

I have heard and seen pictures of assassin snails that can kill a shrimp. Once they get the taste for shrimp, there's no stoping them ;) lol

Stock lights for a 10G are usually incandescent lights, which will not grow much...at all. They also give off way too much heat than its worth. You can replace them with regular daylight (6500k) spiral CFL's. Two 10W's will give you enough light for crypts, java ferns, Anubias, most moss, etc :)

To keep the plants healthy, you'd want to dose the tank once a week with fertilizers. If you want a liquid fert, Seachems Flourish comprehensive is a good one.

If you do plan on keeping scarlet badis, be prepared to start some live food cultures such as Daphnia and microworms as scarlet badis usually will not accept prepared foods.

Yeah, they can kill the RCS but the rate that RCS produce and the slow movement of the Assassin snail make it a very unlikely event haha.

I've had stock lighting do just fine with plants in the past, from Java Fern up to Amazon Swords. But you are correct, if you want a little better lighting you can use the spiral CFLs.

That is a great point that I forgot to mention! Most chain stores (or at least a Pet Supplies Plus) carry Flourish.

I figured I wouldn't kill his image of a Scarlet Badis unless he said he really wanted one ;)

fishfool58 said:
Well how will my filters do? & are Chili Rasboras better than Endlers? That's what I was set on.. & the only thing that didn't come with the tank is a heater.. I'll need on big enough for this, & the lights. Then I should be set. As long as I don't need the co2 system for it that's cool with me..

Well, I wouldn't say one fish is "better" than the others. Chili Rasboras are actually the Boraras Brigittae (which I misspelled earlier) that i mentioned at the beginning. Only problem for both of them, depending on you're location they can be hard to find.

You will not need CO2 for this tank. Heaters will be very straight forward. All of them say what size tank they are rated for :)

You're filter will do just fine. It's rated for 10-30 gallon tanks. This means it will be a little strong for your tank but that's not
Always a bad thing. It means it will definitely keep the tank clean. On the converse though, since you're keeping smaller fauna, it could suck up some shrimp/fish.

Predfan27 said:
Yeah, they can kill the RCS but the rate that RCS produce and the slow movement of the Assassin snail make it a very unlikely event haha.

I've had stock lighting do just fine with plants in the past, from Java Fern up to Amazon Swords. But you are correct, if you want a little better lighting you can use the spiral CFLs.

That is a great point that I forgot to mention! Most chain stores (or at least a Pet Supplies Plus) carry Flourish.

I figured I wouldn't kill his image of a Scarlet Badis unless he said he really wanted one ;)

Very true! Lol I would be scared of an assassin snail going after a shrimp that just molted, since they are very vulnerable and are usually hiding and slow moving.

Haha just thought I'd mention it just in case lol

Predfan27 said:
This means it will be a little strong for your tank but that's not Always a bad thing. On the converse though, since you're keeping smaller fauna, it could suck up some shrimp/fish.

Thanks for reminding me, If you going to be breeding shrimp, you MUST have a prefilter. It's basically a sponge that goes over the intake of the filter to prevent baby shrimp or smaller fish (like chili rasboras) from getting sucked up. Some people sell stainless steel prefilters that (IMO) are better than the sponge ones because they require less cleaning and ultimately less clogging.

Agreed on all aspects! Haha. To be honest to the OP. I personally would got get a sponge filter rated for a 10g. One of the kinds that runs via an air pump. This zeroes out the chance of sucking up shrimp, keeps the water very oxygenated (although your plants won't be overly happy but they'll survive), and produces little current. Chili Rasboras are native to slow moving to stagnant waters.

That aside, a prefilter in conjunction with your current filter will work great. I would suggest having it on the left or right side of your tank and letting it face the opposite side. This creates the best circulation while minimizing actual current (it's gotta move more water around going side to side as opposed to front to back. This will cause more movement at a slower rate.).

Predfan27 said:
Agreed on all aspects! Haha. To be honest to the OP. I personally would got get a sponge filter rated for a 10g. One of the kinds that runs via an air pump. This zeroes out the chance of sucking up shrimp, keeps the water very oxygenated (although your plants won't be overly happy but they'll survive), and produces little current. Chili Rasboras are native to slow moving to stagnant waters.

That aside, a prefilter in conjunction with your current filter will work great. I would suggest having it on the left or right side of your tank and letting it face the opposite side. This creates the best circulation while minimizing actual current (it's gotta move more water around going side to side as opposed to front to back. This will cause more movement at a slower rate.).

How would I put the filter on the side? My lid only has the open space for it to go on the back? & I think I've decided the Endlers Livebearers, unless I can find the celestial danios & they aren't too terribly expensive.. The one snail, some RCS & then all I gotta do is decide on the plants.. How many should I get tops for a 10 gal?

fishfool58 said:
How would I put the filter on the side? My lid only has the open space for it to go on the back? & I think I've decided the Endlers Livebearers, unless I can find the celestial danios & they aren't too terribly expensive.. The one snail, some RCS & then all I gotta do is decide on the plants.. How many should I get tops for a 10 gal?

That filter is an internally placed filter, as opposed to a hang-on-the-back (HOB) filter or Canister. It should have a suction cup or two on the back that will allow you to place it anywhere really. I have a smaller version of that filter in my 5.5g shrimp tank. It's on the left side pointing to the right.

What do you mean tops?

Like the maximum amount of plants for a 10 gal? & the whisper filter has a suction cup on it.. But the entire bottom sucks in water as to hob filter has a tube with a strainer on it.. I've never used anything other than a hob filter, this tank, lid, & 2 filters were given to me..

Back
Top Bottom