10gal tank, planted advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My whisper filter doesn't have suction cups, this was all given too me.. All it has is a clamp to allow it to hang.. But it seems like it would take up too much space in there..

Predfan27 said:
If you want some pictures, look up my thread called "Evolution of My Tanks." I have two 10g that I have planted. Crypts, Anubias, Java Fern, Java Moss and some Ludwigia are low light plants that are easy to care for.

Some Corydoras Pygmaeus or Habrosus would work well with a Betta in a 10g. They occupy different strata of the tank.

I use Flourite in my planted tanks but if you try easy low-light plants you can get away with anything really

Wouldn't Fluorite not be too good for Corys? As far as roughness. I have Corys & a low-tech lightly planted tank w/ stock fluorescent lighting, thinkin of switchin to a *thin* layer of playsand or Eco-complete.

TangoTank said:
Wouldn't Fluorite not be too good for Corys? As far as roughness. I have Corys & a low-tech lightly planted tank w/ stock fluorescent lighting, thinkin of switchin to a *thin* layer of playsand or Eco-complete.

I've had no problems. So far I've kept larger species long Bronze with Flourite as well as Pygmys and Habrosus with Flourite with no issues :)

fishfool58 said:
java moss just looks like it would be a pain though.. Ha. So stock lights, Fluorite, & water & all my plants will survive? :) & yeah.. I'll just stick with Endlers.. :p & yup.. I've got some Danios in it now.. I couldn't go 3-4 months without fish.. So I got some. I'm getting mine from a friend who breeds them.

That pic, it looks like a "Tanked" tank. Pretty!! Ever see that show??

And you're so lucky to have a breeder friend!!

TangoTank said:
That pic, it looks like a "Tanked" tank. Pretty!! Ever see that show??

And you're so lucky to have a breeder friend!!

I like that show.. The guys are cocky but they do good work.. That's actually why I got my tank up & running again..

& yeah.. He only breeds like 6 different breeds.. He ships his fish out & it's just a hobby for him.. He doesn't charge much.. :)

Update! :) First Picture was a while back.. Sometime before the August 16th.

Second picture is of it right now.. August 30th.

Will be adding some RCS soon, or something else that stands out if anyone wants to suggest something?

Also, I don't currently have a heater in the tank, but it's always at a constant 76-78 degrees.. Is that an acceptable temperature for my low light plants?

Thanks!

Attachments

• image-4280006196.jpg
    image-4280006196.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 66
  • image-3849843398.jpg
    image-3849843398.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 79
Update.. & a little worried.. I found something swimming in my tank today.. It looked like a tiny tiny redish clear worm thing.. I know it's a live cause I caught it put it in a cup that was still no movement at all, & it's squirming around.. Best picture I could get.. Pls help.

Attachments

• image-70224155.jpg
    image-70224155.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 70
Could just be a mosquito larvae or something similar. I have bugs b/c I'm on a lake that look like Mosquitos but don't bite. They lay eggs in my plants that I propagate in open vases w/ just water. As for in your tank, I'd see if the fish will take care of them but also remove them before they mature so you don't get Mosquitos biting you in your house! Also, the more surface disruption the less likelihood of them happening in your tank if they're Mosquitos. Do you have a HOB filter or bubbler, something that stirs the surface up?? HOB would be best. My bubble stone w/ a square bio filter wrapped around it disrupts the surface quite a bit & is very inexpensive if you have an air pump already. HTH! Good luck.

TangoTank said:
Could just be a mosquito larvae or something similar. I have bugs b/c I'm on a lake that look like Mosquitos but don't bite. They lay eggs in my plants that I propagate in open vases w/ just water. As for in your tank, I'd see if the fish will take care of them but also remove them before they mature so you don't get Mosquitos biting you in your house! Also, the more surface disruption the less likelihood of them happening in your tank if they're Mosquitos. Do you have a HOB filter or bubbler, something that stirs the surface up?? HOB would be best. My bubble stone w/ a square bio filter wrapped around it disrupts the surface quite a bit & is very inexpensive if you have an air pump already. HTH! Good luck.

Thank you for your reply! & idk, it didn't really wiggle like I've seen mosquito larva do.. It kinda swam if you will... Kinda spiral like.. & I do have a hob filter.. Put my plants wouldn't care
To much for the extra oxygen would they?

Oxygen is only good for fish, won't hurt plants. Plants like CO2 but extra oxygen doesn't hurt them. More surface interruption helps w/ gas exchange too. As for the spiraling thing, IDK!! LMK when you find out!

TangoTank said:
Oxygen is only good for fish, won't hurt plants. Plants like CO2 but extra oxygen doesn't hurt them. More surface interruption helps w/ gas exchange too. As for the spiraling thing, IDK!! LMK when you find out!

I knew they used co2, but I wasn't sure if too much oxygen would hurt them.. & alright.. Good to know.. & definitely.. When I get home from work I'll make another thread, & research some more myself..

Not sure if anyone still reads this, but my tank got out of hand.. I didn't trim it for a while! So it over grew.. I didn't like Flourite too much, so while I was trimming & taking plants that I didn't like too much out, I went ahead & changed the substrate.. Dirt/Eco Complete.. Lemme know what you guys think..

image-4068669605.jpg

Still a little cloudy..

_skyla_ said:
Very nice! Did u end up going with the endlers and cherrys?

Yes, & an Assassin snail.. :p dang pond snails. The fish, or shrimp were not in the tank when I took the picture.

I do have one question for all of you Endler keepers though. do they eat? I never see mine eat when I put food in. (which is why I think my snails kind of increased in numbers.

hmm i have a male and female and they are little piggies i just feed them spirulina flakes, micro pellets and they even eat some of the vegie waffers i feed the plecs, khulis and corys. They also get a treat of frozen brineshrimp every 3rd day or so. How long have u had them? they could just be shy and eat when your not watching, thats what my scarlet badis does im sure. Oh and what are you feeding them? sometimes its worth switching food ive had certain brands and types my fisg stuck there little noses up to

_skyla_ said:
hmm i have a male and female and they are little piggies i just feed them spirulina flakes, micro pellets and they even eat some of the vegie waffers i feed the plecs, khulis and corys. They also get a treat of frozen brineshrimp every 3rd day or so. How long have u had them? they could just be shy and eat when your not watching, thats what my scarlet badis does im sure. Oh and what are you feeding them? sometimes its worth switching food ive had certain brands and types my fisg stuck there little noses up to

Only 4 Endlers now, 2 jumped out & 1 didn't survive the raid bomb I had.. :( all males.. I feed them a color enhancing tetra flake, & I feed the NLF grow, a mix but I don't see them go after either..

aww poor guys sorry to hear that. id test the water and do a water change i read that fish usually only jump out if theres a water quality issue and there stressed which could be why there not eating. id do a 50% water change anyway and give the gravel a good vac to get all the excess food out. Try getting them a micro pellet aswell mine love it.

_skyla_ said:
aww poor guys sorry to hear that. id test the water and do a water change i read that fish usually only jump out if theres a water quality issue and there stressed which could be why there not eating. id do a 50% water change anyway and give the gravel a good vac to get all the excess food out. Try getting them a micro pellet aswell mine love it.

Well the pellets are .5 mm, & I crush the flakes up real fine, my water quality is good, I check it at least once a week, sometimes twice.. I just changed 50% water & substrate yesterday.. & I'm not feeding them nearly as much, I got some micro pellets in mail yesterday for my baby angels & tetras in my 55gal planted.. I'll try them..

Back
Top Bottom