12 gallon iwagumi build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aidanflower

Aquarium Advice Activist
This is still in the thinking step and i will not be purchasing anything for a few months but i would still like help planning

This will be my first freshwater build however i do have a 90 gallon reef. So i am not completely in the blind with aquarium keeping

Setup:
-Mr aqua 12 gallon long
-usa current programable leds
-Ada aqua soil amazonian
- rocks (i forget the name of the rocks, but the usual rocks that are used in iwagumi tanks)

Plants:
Hair grass
Dwarf baby tears
Do i need co2? If so please explain everything because i do not know a thing about co2

Fish:
6 cardinal tetras
6 zebra danios
some cherry shrimp
How is my bio load? Can i had a few more fish or am i done?

Filtration:
Preferably one or two small power heads and hob filter or sump. If i have a nitrate problem then i will probably go with a small hob filter. What are your thoughts on the filtration? I will be taking the entire process extreme slow to eliminate crashing and to keep it safe for the fish due to increasing the bio load too fast.

If you have any thought or suggestions anything will be appreciated, thanks

Will be following. Not sure if I would add cardinal tetras or zebra danios. Check out the smaller Rasboras or something like Green Neons. I don't think you will need a powerhead, either. If you get a canister filter like most people do, you can modify the spray bar and get enough flow from that. Check out Bills 12 Long Iwagumi build, it's a TOTM.

Thanks. Why wouldnt the cardinal tetras or danios work? And now that i think a canister would be better than the hob filter but would you think i would be okay with ONLY a small power head?

I don't have experience with cardinals but I have danios, they would not work in a tank that small because they are very active fish and love to swim. I had some in a 10 gal for a bout a month before upgrading to a 35 and they are much happier with the new arrangement. I wouldn't keep any danios in anything less than a 20 long.

Okay thankyou for the info. I would like all my fish to be happy. I do like the green neons but the rasboras dont do much for me. Any other suggestions

You will need filtration of some sort if that's what you are asking.
Both Cardinal Tetras and Zebra Danios are too large for the tank, and too active. It may be long, but it's not deep or wide.

Just for clarification, the plants and cc and power head(s) wont be enough? What are your opinions on canister filters?

The mini moth catfish are interesting but i do like them. Will they be safe with shrimp? And have you ever heard of this type of micro rasbora: Microrasbora erythromicron?

That's not a microrasbora, that's actually a danio species. It was moved when Danio Margaritatus was moved. Anyway, yes, that would work in your tank, but Danio Margaritatus is far more common and unique.

Chili rasbora, platinum tetra, and blue axelrodi are all interesting choices.

And amano shrimp would help clean the tank. :)

Edit: Microdevario Kubotai is an awesome fish too!

The mini moth catfish should do fine with shrimp. Check out franks aquarium. Most of the fish in the nano fish section will work in your tank.

Any idea on how many fish i could get, like total number? Even just an estimate because i have no idea my limit

I also have 2 african dwarf frogs now that i will be putting in the tank. They are fat and lazy. So i dont think they will cause a problem

Well you could do 10 CPDs and 10 other small fish. I think the microdevario kubotai look really cool.

I agree with scotty. But thank you for the fish estimate, it gives me an idea on what i have to work with. I think i will be going with 2 different schooling fish, 6 each. A mini catfish. 2 african dwarf frogs and some shrimp

Back
Top Bottom