120 Gallon Heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettalover333

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I'm upgrading my 60 gallon to a 120 and had a few questions about heating it properly. I've been reading all over the internet and have gotten so many different responses. If I was heating a 120, and the room temp is around 74 degrees F, how many watts would be sufficient. I was thinking that maybe 2 200W would work but that may be overkill, I'm not sure. Thanks!

Since it's double the volume of your 60, just get another of whatever you've been using?

If your room temp stays at 74, you may not need a heater at all, depending on what you're keeping. 120 gallons takes quite a long time to change temp based on ambient room temp, so that helps even out temp swings during the day. My house goes from about 65-72 in winter to 78-85 in summer and I don't use a heater at all. But I'm just keeping corys, danios, and swordtails, none of which seem to mind the slow temp changes.

I was planning on keeping some more delicate fish like angels and GBR so I'd rather not have the temp fluctuate much. In my 60 I currently have a 200W, which was why I thought maybe two of them would work, because like you pointed out it's double the size. I just wasn't sure if this would work.

How much warmer then room temp you want to raise tank is the key.
According to 'Aqueon Pro' heater guidelines(ummm ummm),
a 200 watt heater is capable of raising a 90g tank 5 degrees above an average room temp of 68-72.
So with a 74 degree room a 200 watt should be fine if you are not looking for the tank to be in the 80's.
For GBR you want to be able to get into mid 80's easy....
Go 250 at least IMO.
Many use 'multi 'set ups for safety and/or even use external temp controllers..

Looking forward to seeing the 120!(y)

Back
Top Bottom