120g oscar tank | barrel sump build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fijiwigi

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello all: I am planning a 75g oscar tank. Planning to build my own stand. First step is buying the tank. Petsmart has a 75g with Canopy for $219. Unless someone has an idea of where to buy a tank 75g or larger for cheaper than that (already been scooping out craigslist) I am going with that deal. I have looked at youtube for video's of building a 75g stand. Shouldn't be too hard. I am wanting to stain it to match my hardwood flooring. My tank will be located in my diningroom. Nice thing about it is my lower level bathroom is just threw the wall. I am going to cut a hole in the wall and have a hose for draining the tank into my lower level shower stall (will save the bucket hauling) :) Considering adding support under the floor to support the weight.

Decided I want 1 Oscar fish. and still up in the air on ideas for tank mates. LED lighting, black sand, 2 overhang filters (walmart tetra brand) I want to do a Morbid, Mythical, Roman empire theme.

Gonna take my time and do a nice beautiful looking tank to compliment my new home.

Don't go cheap on filtration with oscars. Canister filters are often recommended for fish like this. As the Oscar gets bigger so will its bioload. Once mature except to be doing 50% PWC at least x2 a week to keep the water clean.

I would keep him alone in the 75. If you reallllly want a tankmate I would do a featherfin catfish. They get a decent size and are territorial to match the Oscar.

Also, you say you want a theme... When he gets bigger, expect your "theme" to be whatever he wants it to be. Oscars are known to "redesign" the tank for you...

Just some pointers. Hope this helps.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I understand the messy nature of an oscar. Been reading up on them for a while now. I can do a theme with an Oscar tank. Like a skull head. Just larger stuff. If the Oscar moves stuff around on me that's ok :) I've Done saltwater and freshwater have some basic knowledge. I've found the tetra filter walmart sells is actually fairly good, I favor it over the Marineland BIOWHEEL. Not a real big fan of canister filters really but it's sonething to consider. 50% water changes in a 75g X2 a week with a single oscar seems a bit excessive to me personally. With 2 full grown Oscars perhaps I could see a potential need for such

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Was considering the 120g. But the price jumps from $300 to about $650.

Was considering the 120g. But the price jumps from $300 to about $650.

Maybe see how much the tank alone is. Then build the stand. If that is a jump in price for just the tank them if say no too lol.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I agree with Caleb. Full grown O in a 75 will require 2 50% or better water changes a week to keep nitrates under control. High nitrates will cause HITH with Oscars. Add a tank mate and it will be more like 75% twice a week.

That Roman empire theme will soon turn to the Roman ruins with an adult oscar in there;) I've heard of them kicking around 10lb. Rocks..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Just scored this 120g for $240 :)

Attachments

• 1426735465362.jpg
    1426735465362.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 105
I have typically used black sand for substrate. For an Oscar I am unsure what the best option is? Water changes wont be an issue at all. Where I am putting the tank I am cutting a hole in the wall for the siphon tube to drain into the downstairs shower stall. I will just need a buy a hose that attaches at my kitchen sink thats about 25' long or so. I really don't want to mess with hauling buckets around

Black sand will show the mess more, but if you're okay with doing vacuuming and water changes you should be fine. You can eliminate a lot of the mess by giving the oscar food that it will be able to swallow whole. When they have to chew it they expel a ton from their gills and it makes an awful mess that's hard to ever keep in order.

It's really up to you what you want the tank to look like. The oscar may move around rocks and decorations but it won't switch your black sand to white sand when you aren't looking. Blacks help bring out the oranges in tigers and the red in red oscars. Light colored sand tends to wash them out.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Following this! I've been thinking about one myself. Gonna see how this 120 works out for you!

Don't be a stranger! Update us :)

I love my fish!!!

I feel like cleaning this giant used tank to get the glass back to show condition is taking half of my life lol. Just using water mixed with a small amount of vinegar and a plastic scraper.

Alright, doing a bit of research. Now that I have this monster tank. Canister filter is what I need. If anyone has suggestions. I want some powerful filtration, I prefer more filtration than I actually need. Would love some suggestions

Depends.

People on a budget: Cascade and SunSun are great brands.

Quality with a price: Fluval Canisters.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I don't want to buy crap and have to rebuy it later. I was looking at the fluval fx6 for $299.99 Rated 400g tank 900gph. Seems like the best bet. This sparked some thought. I had an overflow box when I did saltwater with a sump/refugium and a water pump. Why not do the same type of setup with freshwater? (like a 20g long tank) one side plants with a light and the other side carbon bags??

http://www.amazon.com/TetraPond-Wat...817107&sr=8-4&keywords=1000+gph+aquarium+pump

Rated 1000 GPH $94

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...f=AA&catargetid=530005150000154460&cadevice=c

PF-1200 $94
I could get a 20G long tank for $30 (If a got a 40G breeder tank that would increase my water capacity to 160g) ??
$20 in plumbing parts

This is where I need some advice

I would do either the fx6 or a 406 with the sump. With an Oscar I would do at minimum 10 x GPH on filtration.

The fx6 is rated in the 900 gph range. I feel I could get a better gph rating cheaper with a pond/waterfall pump from home depot 10x filtration on a 120g is 1200GPH. Fx6 doesn't pull that rating

I would still run a second filter just as a back up. Things can go south real fast if a pump or filter fails. Even if its just something like an aquaclear 70 filled with bio media. I'm big on filtration. My 10" hybrid is in a 55 by its self with 3 ac70 rated at 300gph each and I'm still doing water changes every 4 to 5 days to keep nitrates under 20. But I really need to upgrade him to a 75.

For sure. second filter is agreed. I had an overflow problem once with my saltwater tank that flooded my kitchen so I understand. Perhaps I get a lessor rated canister and a high powered sump pump? So many thoughts

I'd definitely do a sump and canister. With planning for two oscars, being able to put the heaters and any other equipment into the sump is going to be a life saver. My friend has a pair of oscars that have broken four "shatterproof" heaters, he quickly went to a sump. I think if you go the sump route though, seeing you mention a 20L, I would go larger. The 40B would be the smallest I'd look at. You could probably go a lot cheaper and buy a used fx5 rather than the fx6. Aside from it purging air every 12 hours instead of 24 hours and the little reminder on when you last did a water change...which you'll have to be pretty religious on anyways, I don't think there is much of a difference between the two as far as power goes.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom