12UK/15US Gallon Build! :D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr.Albiman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have another thread called 'Filling out schools.', where I have talked about re-doing my 15 gallon - fish and all - to create a nano community. It's all very exciting!

Today, I started by rehoming all my current stock (6 Harlequin Rasboras 5 Endler's Livebearer 3 Panda Cories 1 Red Honey Gourami 1 Rainbow Platy and 1 Amano Shrimp) except my Zebra Nerite Snail because i love him too much and 1 Panda Cory because i couldn't catch him. I will take him back when i pick up the sand for my 'conversion'. Yes thats right, I'm switching from gravel to sand! I'm going for a nice river sand colour. Mainly because i can't find black, haha.

things i need to do:
1. Buy an AquaClear 50 filter.
2. Take Panda Cory to LFS.
3. Swap gravel for sand.
4. Buy a black background/spray paint. (Which would you suggest?)
5. Buy Anubias nana, Anacharis, and driftwood.
6. Get dad to build me a stand/cabinet.
7. Lay out the decorations and plants how i like.

8. Buy 12 Ember Tetras 8 Pygmy Cories and 1 Female Betta Splendens. Oh and 5 Malaysian Trumpet Snails to stir up the sand
9. Maybe buy an Apple Snail and some RCS. (I know the Betta might eat them so I'll just get a few and see).

Anything I missed? :D

I'd definitely recommend spray paint over any stick on background. I tried the static cling, and also the backgrounds that required adhesive... couldn't get ieither to look right. Bought a can of Rust-Oleum Satin Black spray paint, 5 or 6 coats and it looked amazing.

I set my tank upright in the basement and masked off the top with cardboard and the sides with newspaper. Painters tape or masking tape work well and leave no residue. I also used a shop light on the back end so I was able to easily see how good my spray coverage was. Without the light, you'll probably think you are done only to notice uneven coating later. I probably used over half the can of spray paint to make sure coverage was great. Allow at leat 12 hours to dry after first coat... then only an hour or two is needed between other coats.

m.diy.com/mt/www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9273147&fh_location=//catalog01/en_GB/categories%3C%7b9372016%7d/categories%3C%7b9372048%7d/categories%3C%7b9372250%7d/specificationsProductType=aggregates/specificationsSpecificProductType=sand&un_jtt_redirect#un_reviews

After Googleing it the general consensus was it would be okay but to check the label just in case. It's Kiln dried 'natural' Silica sand.

Please reply I'm going to get it tomorrow. If it's not okay I'll have to get the really expensive one from Pets At Home. Thanks guys :)

Personally I'd stay away from kiln dried as its made from quartz which is mostly silicates. Pool filter sand, play sand, silver sand, or marine sand?

Nothing wrong as such but silicates are food for diatoms, brown algae, so if your ok with the brown algae being there then it's fine but personally I wouldn't want to be cleaning it all the time, that's all, I'm just fussy, like my tank to look fresh, lol. The algae goes in time with the silicates but just to save the hassle, I'd go with some play sand or somthing. Play sand is cheap round here and effective.

Oh right, the only problem is that there isn't any play sand near me in any shops so it's either this or really expensive 'aquarium sand' from the LFS.

Will a couple of Nerite snails sort out the algae? :)

Yeah they will definitely help, depending on the tank size you may want a few. I have four in my 20 gal, they do a good job on the glass and ornaments but not on the gravel.

If you can only get the kiln dried then go for it, that was only my preference. Wash it thoroughly first however if you can get the smaller dusty stuff out.
The expensive sand will keep the tank cleaner, but it's entirely your choice, why pay when you don't have to! Lol

Good luck! (y)

Haha thanks!

You reckon i should get 3 or 4? It's a 15 gallon. I think I'm gonna go for the Kiln dried seeing as how I'm an unemployed 16 year old so I'm not exactly swimming in money, lol.

Thanks for your help. I'll update when I get the sand either today or tomorrow. :D

Filter and Fish update!

Okay so I'm bored of trying to find sand i like so today i bought an Aquaclear 50 and 5 neon green Rasboras. The filter is running with the two i already have and the fish are acclimatising. I'm getting 6 more Rasboras next Sunday.

They stock Clown Killifish and Lampeye Killifish at my LFS. Would these be good as centrepiece fish or are they schoolers? I'm still thinking a female Betta for a centrepiece but not sure if she would eat the Green Neon Rasboras? If not I'll get a female Betta. :) thanks guys.

Back
Top Bottom