13 Gallon Stocking Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

raccioppi83

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 13 gallon widescreen Aqueon tank that I will be taking back to school with me so I can continue my hobby. I am just not sure what I will be able to stock in it because of the small foot print!

I would love everyone's suggestions.

My ideas are:
2 Ram cichlids
1 Gourami
a school of galaxy rasbora/chili rasbora

I am not new to the hobby, but I've also never tackled a tank of these dimensions either.

I'm new the hobby, I don't know if you've heard of AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor but I've been using it a lot since I found it on here. I've seen a lot of people recommend having a bottom feeder too, like a snail or something to help with keeping it all balanced. I've never seen the galaxy rasboras and now I think I might try those instead of neon tetras!

Welcome to the hobby! I'm very familiar with the website, but I don't always agree with what it has to say. I would much rather obtain the opinion of fellow hobbyists.

I do not need any bottom feeders because I am not doing a planted aquarium and the rams are considered bottom feeders. If I indeed do decide to get rams there is not enough footprint for any other bottom feeders than those two. Even they are pushing the envelope.

I like the idea of the rasboras. And how about a honey or sparkling gourami?

IMO a 20g minimum for Rams though.

Look at kuhli loaches!

That gives you
Gourami- top level
Rasboras- mid level
Kuhli- bottom level

So activity on all levels of the tank.

Caleb

I like the idea of the rasboras. And how about a honey or sparkling gourami?

IMO a 20g minimum for Rams though.

Look at kuhli loaches!

That gives you
Gourami- top level
Rasboras- mid level
Kuhli- bottom level

So activity on all levels of the tank.

Caleb

I am very hesitant on the Rams.

The Kuhli are very interesting! I am looking for a breeding pair though. So I'm also considering 2 peacock gudgeon or 2 Scarlet Badis instead of the Rams (Haven't decided which Ram yet)

What is the foot print? If I remember right isn't it like 24 or 30 long and 9 wide?

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What is the foot print? If I remember right isn't it like 24 or 30 long and 9 wide?

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

24.25 x 16.625 x 8.375

This is what the Aqueon website has it as. It doesn't say the exact dimensions on the box so I would assume this to be correct

Hmmm not sure if a pair of GBR would work. I think it would be possible with a small school of neons but you would really have to keep up with the water changes. Don't take my word for it alone though. Wait and see what others think.

Hmmm not sure if a pair of GBR would work. I think it would be possible with a small school of neons but you would really have to keep up with the water changes. Don't take my word for it alone though. Wait and see what others think.

That is why I'm starting to lean more towards rainbow gudgeon or scarlet badis. I don't want to do neons because they enough a lot of swimming room and I couldn't satisfy that with the parameters of this tank. :(

I have a school in my tank at home now though and love them!

I've got a GBR in my 6 gallon widescreen and IMO it seems a bit cramped for him by himself. I would do 6 rasboras, 7 kuhli loaches and 1 dwarf gourami, or 2 or 3 sparkling gouramis. Or a school of neons (6) and the 7 kuhli loaches and the DG, or the sparkling gourami's in place of the dwarfs. More fish out there that you could do, but I would stay away from rams and bigger fish.

I've got a GBR in my 6 gallon widescreen and IMO it seems a bit cramped for him by himself. I would do 6 rasboras, 7 kuhli loaches and 1 dwarf gourami, or 2 or 3 sparkling gouramis. Or a school of neons (6) and the 7 kuhli loaches and the DG, or the sparkling gourami's in place of the dwarfs. More fish out there that you could do, but I would stay away from rams and bigger fish.

Well yeah, that is very poor living situations for a GBR and it should definitely be moved to a bigger tank if possible. I think I am going to stay away from the Kuhil loaches.. I do not want neons for the reason stated above, the tank does not provide them with enough swimming space. I am definitely going to get a gourami. I just need to decide which one.

Well yeah, that is very poor living situations for a GBR and it should definitely be moved to a bigger tank if possible. I think I am going to stay away from the Kuhil loaches.. I do not want neons for the reason stated above, the tank does not provide them with enough swimming space. I am definitely going to get a gourami. I just need to decide which one.

Gee sorry lol. I meant 16, forgot the 1 lol. A 6 gallon would be horrible, sorry I meant 16 :lol:

Gee sorry lol. I meant 16, forgot the 1 lol. A 6 gallon would be horrible, sorry I meant 16 :lol:

Ohhhh. Haha okay. Well yes, I'll have to keep looking into a breeding pair that's relatively unique. This is why I'm leaning towards peacock gudgeons now

Back
Top Bottom