135 gallon getting started need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nsiomkos

Aquarium Advice Newbie
alright i just purchased my 125gallon today and now im trying to put all the parts together

1. i am going to buy two rena xp3... i am curious as to what i should be putting in each tray as i have never used a canister filter.

2. i am definitely doing cichlids i have a jack Dempsey already and am thing of getting a green terror... good or bad????

3. i am going to use bigger rocks to build hiding spots and what not. but what should i use as the base gravel? rocks? sand?

nsiomkos said:
alright i just purchased my 125gallon today and now im trying to put all the parts together

1. i am going to buy two rena xp3... i am curious as to what i should be putting in each tray as i have never used a canister filter.

2. i am definitely doing cichlids i have a jack Dempsey already and am thing of getting a green terror... good or bad????

3. i am going to use bigger rocks to build hiding spots and what not. but what should i use as the base gravel? rocks? sand?

1: The rena should come with sponges I have the fine ones in the top tray and in the middle I have bio stars,balls or rings then in the bottom sponges aswell.

2: I can't comment on

3: I vote sand

You should try ceramic rings or bio balls. If you do a GT make sure they're the same size. Sand all the way

I have a 150gal, medium stocked with fish, lightly stocked with plants, and I use a single Rena XP3 with FABULOUS results. Never have nitrites and nitrates hover around 20. I have the medium and fine sponges/foam in the bottom tray, biostars and filter floss in the middle tray, and ChemiPure Elite in the top tray. I do 50% PWC once a week and rinse the filter materials in tank water every other week.

I've got a 125g with the gouramis and bala sharks. I went with the black moon sand substrate. I really like the looks of it, but with darker sand you will see more of the fish waste at the bottom. Usaully do a light vacuuming about 3 times a week. With a lighter color you may not see as much at the bottom or with gravel you won't see it at all. And I agree with all the previous posters on using a variety of media in your canister.

Back
Top Bottom