14 gallon build?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Adangelo100

Aquarium Advice Regular
OK, so I have my new Aqueon 14 gallon deluxe kit. Includes heater, thermometer, filter and lighting, and water conditioner. Besides gravel and decor what else is needed to provide a nice environment? Btw I have my API test kit and a symphony that will be upgraded when possible. I know I need an air pump so which would be best? This tank is going to home my last remaining silver dollar, 5 neon tetras and MAYBE my zebra danio, oh and definitely a cute snail. So thoughts? Suggestions? I like all input but please be nice and keep in mind I make peanuts for money so I don't have a lot in my budget but I do really want the best for my oil guys who are so cramped right now thanks to petulance misinforming about EVERYTHING. :)

I think you should get a bucket. This sounds rather simple but a bucket is your best friend. You will eventually figure this out. I would go to walmart and get the cheap Redi (I think they are called) sponges. They are the generac Magic clean erasers. They work wonders on anything in your tank. I know you are trying to save money, so if you don't have a net, I would recommend getting use to picking up your fish by hand slowley and carefully. Don't every try to chase your fish around an aquarium, just take it slow. I would get a cheap digital thermometer. Digital because they give you percise temps without you having to guess. I would recommend getting a whisper pump. They sell them at walmart under a diffrent name. They are very cheap and by far the best air pump out there. They are very quite and provide extreme pressure so they are good with any application.

After getting all of this and you get more money, the first thing I would replace is that heater. Heaters are made so cheap these days that they just break down so fast. I wouldn't recommend the fluval heater, mainly because its 300 bucks. Haha just get something better than what you have. I hope this helps at least somewhat. If you have any other questions ask them, or you can contact me personally in the future. Happy fishing!

I will definitely add all of that to my list.... I'm going to try and buy one thing a week unless it's really expensive like the heater... I'll save up for that one... Thanks so much!

See if your filter will be enough to agitate the surface of the water. If it doesnt do agitate enough then get a air pump. Sand better than gravel.

See if your filter will be enough to agitate the surface of the water. If it doesnt do agitate enough then get a air pump. Sand better than gravel.

Why is sand better than gravel?

Why is sand better than gravel?

I dont think one is 'better' than the other- its a personal preference & a species preference. Gravel is not appropriate for quite a few species of fish. I personally think pfs is much easier to keep clean & maintain than gravel especially with messy fish.

Gravel more difficult to clean every week IME. every time i siphon into gravel, there was always ditrius floating out of the gravel and spread accross the water column. I never have that issues with sand.

Sand needs to be kept stirred once a week, however. If it's being kept turned over on a regular basis, you won't ever really find stuff getting down into it, and you can just siphon it off the surface. I try to leave one corner of the sand in the tank a little lower than the rest to facilitate this.

Sand needs to be kept stirred once a week, however. If it's being kept turned over on a regular basis, you won't ever really find stuff getting down into it, and you can just siphon it off the surface. I try to leave one corner of the sand in the tank a little lower than the rest to facilitate this.

Good idea! it takes several weeks for undisturbed sand to form those toxic gas.

I've been siphoning every inch of the sand because that was easier lol.

If you dont have more than 1-1.5inch of sand, then the sand does not need to be stirred.

Thank you! I wil definitely take all of this in... Too late for the sand... The gravel is all in place lol but I will definitely consider switching along the lines... And I am DEFINITELY getting an air pump... I was thinking of an air stone or a bubble wall too

Back
Top Bottom