14g to 29g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AJG187

Aquarium Advice Regular
I currently have a 14 gallon fish tank that I want to upgrade to a 29 gallon. My question is, if I were to drain the 14 gallon into the 29 gallon would I still have to wait for the bacteria to form, or would I be able to put the fish in right away (being that this procedure would replicate a 50% water change)? Also I have one more question, in my current 30 gallon I have two 3" cichlids an albino bumblebee (I think) and a electric yellow lab, would it be alright if I were to place maybe 4- 1" cichlids (2- female bumblebees & 2- female labs) in the tank with them, I formed a lot of caves and such.

Welcome to AA!

Putting cycled water in a new tank will not cycle the water, But if you seed you tank with filter media from your old tanks filter, They cycle should be faster. Once you've seeded the tank, Test everyday until you end up with 0 ammonia and nitrite, and some (5-20) nitrates.

As far as the cichlid tank, I have no experience with them, so wait for more input.

Tyler

The good bacteria are in the filter, rocks, gravel. Don't clean them. The water is fine it help stabilize new to old, but not necessary.

I currently have a 14 gallon fish tank that I want to upgrade to a 29 gallon. My question is, if I were to drain the 14 gallon into the 29 gallon would I still have to wait for the bacteria to form, or would I be able to put the fish in right away (being that this procedure would replicate a 50% water change)? Also I have one more question, in my current 30 gallon I have two 3" cichlids an albino bumblebee (I think) and a electric yellow lab, would it be alright if I were to place maybe 4- 1" cichlids (2- female bumblebees & 2- female labs) in the tank with them, I formed a lot of caves and such.

Yes, that would be fine. However the main consideration is your filter, which is where the vast majority of the bacteria resides, what are your plans there?

If your current filter is adequate for your 14g, it will work temporarily on your 29g if you don't add anymore fish. Buy a second filter and run both on the tank for at least a month to seed the new filter. If you buy a filter that is capable of handling the 29g by itself, you can remove the 14g filter after a month. Otherwise, get another small filter and run both the new filter and the old filter in conjunction.

Just remember that manufacturers like to overrate their filters. Cut the rating in half to get a good idea of what it's capable of. I run an AquaClear 70 on my 29g.

Back
Top Bottom