15 gal column from aqueon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Christopherlh84

Aquarium Advice Activist
Was at the pet store yesterday and I came across one. Was wondering if that would be a good tank to keep three platy and three danio? Also I was thinking for putting live plants instead on fake ones is that a good ideal and what type would you get?

Was at the pet store yesterday and I came across one. Was wondering if that would be a good tank to keep three platy and three danio? Also I was thinking for putting live plants instead on fake ones is that a good ideal and what type would you get?

Easy live plants are-
Java Moss
Java Fern
Marimo Moss Ball
Anarchis
Green Foxtail
You could keep in that tank-
3 platy,3 females,3 males,or 1M:2F
6-Harlequin Rasbora
No danios because it is a column tank and they really need a 20 long at the minimum.

Oh ok yeah I didn't think about that but yeah I plan on getting it in the next few weeks

I agree, no danios, they need more swim room than the column can provide. I'm not sure about the platys either actually. I wouldn't do rasboras either. Odd shaped tanks like columns and hexes limit the stocking option. WIth just 3 platys you'd be almost fully stocked, plus if they breed you'll have an overstocked tank pretty fast.

Rasboras were really the only relativley small schoolers I could think of

With a tank that high I would only stock it with a Betta and plant it heavily, then add some RCS or Amanos and a Snail. In the long run a tank like a 20 Gallon Long will be better for say 5 Platies and 6 Danios.

I picked one of these up off of CL a while ago for $20 but still haven't gotten around to setting it up yet but I can tell you if you plan on doing live plants you'll need to upgrade the lighting right off the bat as it comes with a pretty weak 8 or 9 watt bulb, I have however seen a 12 inch LED marineland fixture at petsmart that could probably be swapped in with minor mods

Thanks for all the info it has been helpful. I really wish I had room for a 50 gal I think 20 gal will be pushing it.

I had the 15 gallon column and took it back. The stocking was limited to snails, shrimp and a betta. If I remember right. 20 gallon high isn't that much longer I think and gives you more options. We have one but I need to switch it out for a 20 gallon long I think (for the danios).

Back
Top Bottom