15 gallon yet another stocking thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmybliss

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well, now that I've decided my betta can't be in a community tank, I've been thinking about what I can put in my 15 gallon once it finishes cycling and I finish the ich treatment. (I think the ich was a product of the water quality in the betta's 1 gallon. Poor guy was not a happy fishy.)

Currently there are 2 green lantern platys doing a fish-in cycle. I'm new to all this, so have no idea what would be appropriate. I keep getting conflicting info from the internets.

Since the betta will not be the centerpiece, I want a pretty fish to take his place. I'd like to add some live plants, hopefully I'll have better luck with them than there terrestrial cousins. ;-) I'd also like a small colorful schooling fish,something with a light bio-load, and a cleanup crew. They all need to be able to get along with my bratty platys. (they terrorized poor Brock the betta.) Any ideas or suggestions? Would all this be feasible in such a small tank?

librarygirl said:
Should be. What type of 15 gal? A column or rectangle or hex, etc? If you could give dimensions that'll help.

Thanks.

It's a rectangular tank, approximately 23"x12"x11" deep. Typical petco kit. I've got black sand substrate, again from petco, tetra power filter 10 (I'll upgrade to a more powerful one soon) and a heater. Just put a live sponge from angelsplus.com over the filter intake.

Good. I'd suggest an AquaClear 30-50 for a better filter. You could do:

--Your two platys
--4-6 small corys (dwarf or pygmy is ideal; some pandas might work too but nothing larger)
--a school of 6-8 fish, rummynose tetra is one option. Harlequin rasbora another. There are many types of tetra and danios that would work, too many to name. If you find something you like let us know

Thanks for the advice librarygirl! I'll upgrade my filter as soon as I'm able.

Is there any possibility do you think of getting guppies? They're so pretty, but I've read conflicting information. Some say 20 gallon min, and other's says little as 5. I know I'd need 3 at least for them to be jolly.

I also am in love with cp danios, so would love to have a school of them.

I think I've become addicted to fish! Already thinking about a future species tank with puffers. My daughter loves those guys.

Sure you can have guppies in a 15. So you could do:

2 platy
4-6 cory
3-4 guppies (I'd suggest all males so they can't breed)
8 celestial pearl danio (I have these too, awesome little fish).

Sure you can have guppies in a 15. So you could do:

2 platy
4-6 cory
3-4 guppies (I'd suggest all males so they can't breed)
8 celestial pearl danio (I have these too, awesome little fish).

Yay! This makes me happy:D

I may actually send the platys back to the lfs when my cycle is complete. They're cute, but my goodness can they poop! I woke up yesterday morning to a giant mess on the bottom of the tank. With my black sand substrate, I'll have to vacuum daily. Unless there's something that will eat all that poop.

Just had my water tested, still no kit for home.

pH7.8
Ammonia 3.o
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 5.0

Just finished a big wc, but I'll have to wait until tomorrow to have the water tested again.

Thanks again for all your help!

Last edited:
Yes platys are messy and add a lot to the bioload. If you rehome them you could add another set of fish or increase the numbers of the ones I listed above. Nothing that'll eat poop I"m afraid, you'll have to clean it by hand :) If ammonia is 3 you'll want to do a few water changes to get it down; a 50% water change will only reduce it to 1.5 which is better but still toxic.

Thank again for all you help!

I changed out about 75% of the water last night, then did the same after reading your reply this morning. I saved a bit of the water from the morning and took it to be tested. All was well. I finally got a test kit and checked the water again.

Amonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 0

The nitrate reading confuse me. I had 5 yesterday, will they come back?

Back
Top Bottom