1st cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BGK21

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi,
I am setting up a 65g freshwater aquarium and have just added ammonia for the first time today. I haven't received any readings yet. At this point, I've added 3.75 ounces of ammonia. I am still receiving 0ppm. Should I give it a day or add more until I get to the 5 ppm?
Thanks

Hi! Keep adding more. Heres' a calculator that will help you determine how much to add to get to 4 ppms of ammonia (scroll down a bit to get to the ammonia calculator): Calculator

Are you sure it's ounces you're adding? That's a ton of ammonia lol What percentage is your ammonia (should say on the bottle)? What test kit are you using? After you dose, wait about an hour before testing to let the ammonia circulate through the water to get an accurate reading.

For example, according to the calculator, if I put in 65 US gals for volume and change the desired ppms to 4 and if your ammonia is 9.5% (for example) it would take 10.36 ml of ammonia to reach 4.

I'm using a shot glass to measure....here us what I am using. Only #s say 10% ammonium hydroxide. Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120519_155814.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120519_155814.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 63
What are you using to measure your ammonia levels (type of test)? I suspect this may be the issue. If your using strips, they accuracy is quite questionable. If your using the API test, make sure you are adding 8 drops bottle 1, shake tube, 8 drops of bottle 2, shake & wait 5mins. If you are positive the API test is being performed correctly, I suspect there is something wrong with the test itself. As a control, fill a tube with tap water & add 3 drops of ammonia & run the test. The tube should turn dark, dark green. Let us know!

I just realized I forget to mention the test kit. I have API for freshwater....I didn't realize you put drops from bottle 1 and 2. I thought it was a backup.....clearly I'm clueless. I will try that! Thanks.

No big deal! But, you are going to have to do a 100% water change on your tank. The amount of ammonia you have added is HUGE. Then, retest your ammonia levels after the tank has run for 15-20mins & see what they read. Based on this, plug your tank specs, % of amm (10%) & desired ppm. If your tank is reading .25ppm of amm, plug '3.75ppm' into the desired ppm. If its reading zero, then use '4ppm'. If its another amount, just subtract the amount your tank reads from 4ppm & use this number as your desired ppm. Hope this makes some sense!!

Also, make sure you check your tap water for ammonia, nitrite & nitrate so you know what you are putting in your tank. The nitrate test is two bottle as well. Make sure you bang the bottles on a hard surface & really shake them HARD before performing the test. 10 drops bottle 1, shake tube well, 10 drops bottle 2, shake well & wait 5mins. Ask if you have any questions! :)

Great info, I only got through a 90% and will see what its like in the morning. If its still incredibly high I'll try the 100%. Thanks!

The ACE brand is the right stuff but very potent! Try getting an eye dropper or turkey baster (a syringe with ml would be ideal though) to dose ammonia. The shot glass is going to be inaccurate at best and you'll be adding way too much. I'm guessing a few water changes are in your future lol (dont' forget dechlorinator each time). That's ok, better it happened at the beginning! :)

Yes, you can get a syringe at Walgreens or CVS. This will allow for more accurate dosing.

I'll pick up a syringe today after I do a 100% water change.
I just took a reading of the tap water that is one day old from yesterday and fresh from today. The ammonia is between .25-.5. It looks to be a little darker than .25 but lighter than .5. Is that normal? I would think it would be 0 (ideally anyway). Does that matter and if it does, how do I lower it prior to going into the tank?

Its likely your municipality uses chloramine rather than chlorine. No worries! Once your tank is cycled, your bacteria will eat through this quickly. If your not already doing so, you may want to consider switching to a water conditioner such as Prime that will limit the toxicity of ammonia for doing water changes when you have fish. Just adjust your ammonia dose to take into account the amm in your tap. :)

Thanks for the help. Finished a 99% water change and ammonia is back to workable.

BGK21 said:
I just realized I forget to mention the test kit. I have API for freshwater....I didn't realize you put drops from bottle 1 and 2. I thought it was a backup.....clearly I'm clueless. I will try that! Thanks.

Lol. I did the same thing when I got my test kit.

Now that I know how to take tests....whoops...I thought I would be adding ammonia everyday. Ammonia count today is 4ppm without adding any. Should I be doing be adding ammonia daily or as needed? I assume as needed at this point. I appreciate all the help so far for the newbie.

As needed- wait for your ammonia levels to drop below 2ppm before considering redosing. Then, only redose enough to bring your amm level back up to 4ppm. Dont hesitate to ask questions! :)

BGK21 said:
Now that I know how to take tests....whoops...I thought I would be adding ammonia everyday. Ammonia count today is 4ppm without adding any. Should I be doing be adding ammonia daily or as needed? I assume as needed at this point. I appreciate all the help so far for the newbie.

Your lucky JLK didn't give you crap for not reading directions. She did me lol :) she's a big help

I just read that... .not sure about the plants though.....hopefully that's not another whoops

Stephen Rollins said:
Your lucky JLK didn't give you crap for not reading directions. She did me lol :) she's a big help

Haha!!! I figured there was enough torment involved after having to do multiple big water changes following the multiple shot glasses of ammonia....

Plants are fine!!! Add them anytime you want if you are going the live plant route- more, the better! They will help your cycle as well as help maintain a healthy tank once you have fish. :)

Thought I would provide an update. Still at 4ppm on the ammonia after initial does (5 days after), 0 nitrites, and 0 nitrates. PH is 8-8.2 depending on the day. Should I expect this to come down or when would I think about adding an acid buffer?

Back
Top Bottom