1st time driftwood user

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DanS180

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay so i bought 2 pieces of driftwood today and the only thing I know to do is to soak them for a week or so.. anything else I should know??

Boiling the wood might be more effective. Don't worry this won't damage the wood.

bettaowner said:
Boiling the wood might be more effective. Don't worry this won't damage the wood.

The pieces are kind of big, I don't think I could boil them :(

You'll want to try and boil or soak with hot water to help get rid if tannins and microbes. A neat trick is to run it in an empty dishwasher on high temp.. W/out detergent naturally. Two runs might be better.

jcolon said:
You'll want to try and boil or soak with hot water to help get rid if tannins and microbes. A neat trick is to run it in an empty dishwasher on high temp.. W/out detergent naturally. Two runs might be better.

Run thru the dishwasher twice and then soak afterwards??

ya, your going to want to soak it for a while.

Thats what I tried to do with mine, but it sank the first time I put it in. It was ironwood...

Greater-Ajax said:
ya, your going to want to soak it for a while.

Thats what I tried to do with mine, but it sank the first time I put it in. It was ironwood...

Haha, well I guess as soon as my dishwasher is empty ill throw these bad boys in there overnight :)

Run thru the dishwasher twice and then soak afterwards??

Yep... There have been members that have done this before. Others have just run it twice and then right to the tank ... Assuming it'll already sink. LFS DW is probably Mopani, Malaysian or Manzanita so it should already sink.

If boiling isn't an option, I'd run it through the dishwasher twice, then soak for a day or two ... To both get rid of tannins and microbes.

Post pics once they're in the tank(y).

jcolon said:
Yep... There have been members that have done this before. Others have just run it twice and then right to the tank ... Assuming it'll already sink. LFS DW is probably Mopani, Malaysian or Manzanita so it should already sink.

If boiling isn't an option, I'd run it through the dishwasher twice, then soak for a day or two ... To both get rid of tannins and microbes.

Post pics once they're in the tank(y).

I definitely will!! Probably will be a few days but ill post em eventually :)

2 runs thru the dishwasher and it sank really well :) how does it look?? (2 dark pieces, other 2 are fake rocks/caves

ForumRunner_20120630_193818.jpg

Looks like Malaysian DW ... I Like the one in the middle .. looks like it's got an opening where fish can swim through. Don't be surprised if your water does get a bit brownish tea color (harmless) ... DW can often leach tannins for weeks ... even after soaking, boiling etc.

jcolon said:
Looks like Malaysian DW ... I Like the one in the middle .. looks like it's got an opening where fish can swim through. Don't be surprised if your water does get a bit brownish tea color (harmless) ... DW can often leach tannins for weeks ... even after soaking, boiling etc.

It is Malaysian dw :) anything I can do to clear up the water IF it gets brownish??

DanS180 said:
It is Malaysian dw :) anything I can do to clear up the water IF it gets brownish??

Water changes. Some have had luck with carbon. Heck, you might really like the look of tannins. My dw leaches some, but it gives my tank a 'rustic' feel that I really like.

christine2012 said:
Water changes. Some have had luck with carbon. Heck, you might really like the look of tannins. My dw leaches some, but it gives my tank a 'rustic' feel that I really like.

That's pretty cool, yeah my tanks been slightly cloudy for the past couple days and I don't know why so if it starts getting brownish then it'll turn into brown cloudiness :/ guess ill just keep an eye out and do water changes if it happens

DanS180 said:
Lol thanks but why is it a pain??

It can be. It took me months to get my wood cured (but that was before I heard of the dishwasher trick ) I was helping a member on here who had black water from tannins, and just didn't have much luck at all. I guess it all depends on the wood lol

christine2012 said:
It can be. It took me months to get my wood cured (but that was before I heard of the dishwasher trick ) I was helping a member on here who had black water from tannins, and just didn't have much luck at all. I guess it all depends on the wood lol

Well I hope that's not the case with mine!! That would be horrible lol :/

BlaseMrNiceguy said:
I have had luck with carbon it really helps keep my water clear.

Well I guess if it starts turning colors ill go out and buy some carbon but hopefully it won't be too bad! Lol

Back
Top Bottom