1st Timer Fish Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cpt.Peebles

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am trying to set up a tank for the first time and have a couple questions about which fish to start with. I have 20 gallon tank and in the end I want to have a Dwarf Gourami, a small school of Banded Barbs (probably 6), and a pair of Otocinclus Catfish. I have enough filtration and the tank should be large enough for these guys, but I have some questions about how to start.

I have done some research and I plan to do a fishless cycle. When I eventually do bring the fish in how should I start? With just the Gourami? With just the Barbs? Only a few or all the Barbs at once? I assume hold off on the Catfish until there has been some algae build up, correct?

Any other suggestions, tips, thoughts, opinions, etc. please let me know. :thanks:

Well in theory if you do a fishless cycle and build a bacteria colony big enough to convert 4 ppm ammonia to nitrate in less than 24hrs then you can put all your fish in at once. Like you said though, not the ottos they need algae build up and can be quite sensitive. They might be better off in larger numbers also.

Anyways full stocking from the word go is one of the reasons people do a fishless. That and not subjecting fish to any amounts of ammonia whatsoever.

There would be no harm in building a bacteria colony up to 4ppm then stocking slowly. The bacteria you grew would just fall back in line to meet the lesser demand. But theoretically you could put all the barbs and the gourami in. If you still wanted to break it up, I'd put the barbs in first then the gourami.

Back
Top Bottom