1st wet/dry filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chris7495

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello everyone,

I recently can across a great deal and got a slightly used clear for life 90 gallon uniquarium. I have started a few tanks in the past and have been in the hobby for a couple yrs but I had never heard of a wet/dry filter before. I am going to make it a planted freshwater tank with discus and might try to be brave and add some angels. My question is what is the best media to put in the trickle part? Bio balls? I heard they exchange gasses too well and leave no c02 for plants. Also any recommendations on a water pump? I don't mind spending the money on a good one if its worth it. What gph should I go for? What is a good substrate for acrylic, least likely to scratch? Thanks for any advice you can give, I appreciate it.:thanks:

not sure on the rest but maby a small layer of play pen sand iv got it in my planter nano and my plants are going bonkers iv had to lower my lighting time back to 8hrs a day

If you are injecting CO2 a wet/dry is about the worst thing you could be using as it will gas off everything you put in. If you are not injecting CO2 it may actually help keep the CO2 level consistent as it will not gas off everything and may actually help to raise it a touch.

If you are injecting CO2 a wet/dry is about the worst thing you could be using as it will gas off everything you put in. If you are not injecting CO2 it may actually help keep the CO2 level consistent as it will not gas off everything and may actually help to raise it a touch.

Thanks, ill try it without C02 then, anyone have a recommendation for gph on a wet dry filter? I bought a aquatic life 3700 lph but it is way to loud and barely fits in the chamber for the pump. If I go with a smaller one like 500 gph would it be quiter?

Back
Top Bottom