2 new tanks.... WOOHOO

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gubernaculum86

Aquarium Advice Freak
So my g/f had been wanting a tank for a while and we finally got it set up yesterday afternoon. Its a ten gal marineland. I also set up my old 5 gal hex I had sitting around.

Started a fishless cycle in both yesterday, using a piece of raw shrimp in each tank, in place of pure ammonia. I tested the tanks this morning and both tanks had a reading of 1.0 ppm, so the cycle is underway :D. I have also been adding Microbe-Lift Nite-Out II to both tanks to help increase the amount of bacteria in the tank.

I do have a question though, how long do I leave the shrimp in the tanks? I know its got to be in there for a while as a source of ammonia, but do I let it rot away completely, or do I take it out once the ammonia and nitrItes have disappeared and the nitrAtes are climbing right before I do the final PWC?

Gubernaculum86 said:
So my g/f had been wanting a tank for a while and we finally got it set up yesterday afternoon. Its a ten gal marineland. I also set up my old 5 gal hex I had sitting around.

Started a fishless cycle in both yesterday, using a piece of raw shrimp in each tank, in place of pure ammonia. I tested the tanks this morning and both tanks had a reading of 1.0 ppm, so the cycle is underway :D. I have also been adding Microbe-Lift Nite-Out II to both tanks to help increase the amount of bacteria in the tank.

I do have a question though, how long do I leave the shrimp in the tanks? I know its got to be in there for a while as a source of ammonia, but do I let it rot away completely, or do I take it out once the ammonia and nitrItes have disappeared and the nitrAtes are climbing right before I do the final PWC?

+1 for fishless cycling :D.

IMO you can leave them in there for a while, rot means ammo so if you need to swap them, put the new one in a day or so before you pull the old one. Once done with cycling, IME it's always best to do a couple water changes before the fish go in, Ammo, no3 get cut and bacteria aren't affected.

Good luck!

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

Thanks. I can't believe anyone would ever do a cycle with fish. I'll just leave the shrimp in as long as possible then.

In the smaller tank make sure the ammo doesnt get to high. Nonone likes a stalled cycle;)

Yeah i know if it gets too high I'll do a PWC. Oh and my g/f was in petco looking at fish for when her tanks ready and the guy in the fish department told her to get a cheap gold fish to do the cycle with. Smh

Day 3: both tanks ammo at 4.0 ppm. The 5 gal is looking really cloudy. I assume from the bacterial bloom. Probably going to do a PWC tomorrow.

I'm going to try live plants for the first time in the 5gal hex. I haven't bought the plants yet, I need to get payed first, I did however buy some roottabs by API. it says to use one tab per 30 sq inches.

Does anyone remember how to find the area of a hexagon. Haven't done that since middle school lol.

I remember reading somwhere just to let the bloom take its course. Ill look up the area and post asap

Don't do PWC unless your water parameters gets too high. The cloudy water (assuming it's a bacterial bloom) will go away on it's own in a couple of days.

Congrats on the new tanks!

itsgracia said:
Don't do PWC unless your water parameters gets too high. The cloudy water (assuming it's a bacterial bloom) will go away on it's own in a couple of days.

Congrats on the new tanks!

Thanks I will hold off on the PWC then.

So it has been a couple of days since my last up date. In Both tanks the ammonia was increasing. up to about 4.0 in the 10gal and somewhere between 4.0 and 8.0 in the 5gal about 2 days ago.

Tested them again today and both had dropped significantly and I started to see NitrAtes which is exciting.
10gal ammonia: 2.0
NitrItes: 0
NitrAtes: about 20

5gal ammonia: 1.0
NitrItes: 0
NitrAtes: about 5

So the cycle is getting there, almost done, just got to wait for the ammonia to disappear.

My g/f has already 'scaped her tank so As soon as I can get some plants in the 5gal I'll post some pictures, right now it's just gravel.

Back
Top Bottom