2 newbie questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TXaggie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've just set up my first aquarium, a 29g freshwater with natural decorations (driftwood, rock) and fine gravel substrate (multicolored brown - labled "blast sand" at the LFS). Plan is to have a very lightly planted tank with low light plants (java moss and anubias being my current favs)

I'm going to be trying a fishless cycle to start the tank as soon as I can get out to an ACE hardware store to get the ammonium. I already have an AP master test kit.

Question 1: Do I need the carbon filter section of my filter? I have an AquaClear 70 that has a sponge, carbon, and bio section. The LFS guy told me I didn't need the carbon filter portion, but I'd like some other opinion on that. I understand it's for chemical filtration, but what chemicals in particular am I trying to filter out with it?

Question 2: Tannins in the water. Good or bad? My driftwood is leeching tea-like coloring into the water of the tank. LFS said this is fine and that many fish actually like the tannins. Also, the tea coloration of the water is supposedly going to go down with time and water changes. I expected the color, I'm more concerned about fish health. I did soak it overnight in dechlorinated water before adding it in to my tank today.

TXaggie said:
I've just set up my first aquarium, a 29g freshwater with natural decorations (driftwood, rock) and fine gravel substrate (multicolored brown - labled "blast sand" at the LFS). Plan is to have a very lightly planted tank with low light plants (java moss and anubias being my current favs)

I'm going to be trying a fishless cycle to start the tank as soon as I can get out to an ACE hardware store to get the ammonium. I already have an AP master test kit.

Question 1: Do I need the carbon filter section of my filter? I have an AquaClear 70 that has a sponge, carbon, and bio section. The LFS guy told me I didn't need the carbon filter portion, but I'd like some other opinion on that. I understand it's for chemical filtration, but what chemicals in particular am I trying to filter out with it?

Question 2: Tannins in the water. Good or bad? My driftwood is leeching tea-like coloring into the water of the tank. LFS said this is fine and that many fish actually like the tannins. Also, the tea coloration of the water is supposedly going to go down with time and water changes. I expected the color, I'm more concerned about fish health. I did soak it overnight in dechlorinated water before adding it in to my tank today.

Tannins is fine and no you don't need carbon there are lots of filter media out there take your pick

IMO you got a good lfs
And I look forward to pics

No, you don't need activated carbon normally in my opinion. It is useful in removing medications from the water after treatment.

Tannins in the water is not bad although I believe it will lower the PH of your water, but it's nothing to be concerned about. The coloration of the water will dissipate over time.

Thanks for the info! I guess I'll go pull my carbon section of the filter out tonight and just hold onto it in case I need it sometime.

Glad to hear my LFS is sounding like a good one, the only thing I'm dubious about is them recommending cycling my tank with fish. Otherwise they seem great so far! Huge selection of fish too.

TXaggie said:
Thanks for the info! I guess I'll go pull my carbon section of the filter out tonight and just hold onto it in case I need it sometime.

Glad to hear my LFS is sounding like a good one, the only thing I'm dubious about is them recommending cycling my tank with fish. Otherwise they seem great so far! Huge selection of fish too.

There is nothing wrong with cycling with fish for years it was the way you just have to be diligent with water changes and never let it wait till "tomorrow" lol

Glad to hear that fishless can be done safely, it seems that all the information that I'd found said that cycling with fish is a terrible idea. I'm still a little nervous about it, I may stick with fishless cycling just because if I screw up the only thing I'll kill is bacteria. That and it sounds like a lot less water changes!!

... and it sounds like a lot less water changes!!

It is. To do a fish in cycle correctly you'll basically be doing a 50% water change every day. You'd be fighting the very thing you are trying to establish. With fish you will want to keep ammonia and nitrite levels down, while at the same time you are trying to establish colonies of bacteria that consume those toxins.

There is nothing wrong with a fish-in cycle. That's the way it was done for decades. There are more water changes but not necessarily 50% every time. Can be as little as 26%. I didn't have the patience for fishless. Also. Choosing low cost hardy fish lessens any Trauma to you or your fish

Back
Top Bottom