20 gal freshwater ideas/suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mjdodson05

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have an established 20 gallon lightly planted fw tank that is empty.....I was really wanted a pair of German Blue Rams and some kuhli loaches but the water where I live is very hard and I think it will be too hard for my choice in fish....anybody have any suggestions of an alternate setup that would better fit my hard water?? My other existing tank is a 55gal brackish so I dont wanna go that route with this tank....

I have an established 20 gallon lightly planted fw tank that is empty.....I was really wanted a pair of German Blue Rams and some kuhli loaches but the water where I live is very hard and I think it will be too hard for my choice in fish....anybody have any suggestions of an alternate setup that would better fit my hard water?? My other existing tank is a 55gal brackish so I dont wanna go that route with this tank....

If you get tank bred blu rams, they could work.

You could do some mystery snails, nerite snails, some amano shrimp, and bigger livebearers like swordtails or mollies. Kids might enjoy watching baby fish grow up, as well as the crazy acrobatics of shrimp :) and I know hard water is good for snail shell growth as well. But- I have very hard water also and have had good luck with kuhli loaches, angels, neon tetras, and many other species that supposedly prefer soft water. My tap water has a pH of 9.

Honestly most fish can acclimate to hard water. Rams are often kept in hard water and I wouldn't let that stop you from keeping these wonderful fish.

Back
Top Bottom