20 Gallon Biotope

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But I have come to a final decision on the stocking. Zebra danios, Indian glassy fish, and puntius manipurensis (if I can find it anywhere).

That sounds amazing. Only thing I would be worried about is having enough individuals to form schools Ina small tank without overstocking.

29g Community

3g Betta

Not very interesting update: now I'm just waiting for the plants to grow. Any idea how fast Rotala and wisteria grow? The aponogeten is going crazy, in less than a week it grew about six inches. (I got those as bulbs)

I've never had either but I've heard wisteria grows like a weed.
Any update is a good update! Progress ??

29g Community

3g Betta

I don't really need the rotala to grow any higher, I just want it to spread. It's already so tall that it reaches the top of the water and flops over. The fish seem to love that, so I'd like to have more patches of it in the tank.

Unfortunately, I can't order any fish online, so I'll have to find some place that sells those, or think of some new species (again...)

Couldn't you trim and replant the rotala to multiply the plants. You could get a forest of them that way lol

As for ordering online may I ask why you can't? It's a good option to get species that are hard to find.

29g Community

3g Betta

Couldn't you trim and replant the rotala to multiply the plants. You could get a forest of them that way lol

As for ordering online may I ask why you can't? It's a good option to get species that are hard to find.

29g Community

3g Betta

I never thought of that! I wasn't sure the plants would like it very much... And I can't order online because my parents say it's bad for the fish.

I get that. Yes it is very stressful but 9/10 times they arrive healthy. Honestly depends on who you order from, a fantastic place is Wetspot tropical fish. I've been to their store many times as I live close to Portland. And I know their shipping practices are very humane.

On another note. Yes cut off the top 4 or so inches of the rotala pluck the lowest few leaves on the cutting and plant the stem in the substrate. New roots will grow from the nodes the leaves were picked from. And boom you got double the plants. And let me grow out again. And repeat as many times as you wish.

29g Community

3g Betta

The aponogeten plants that were tiny dried up bulbs a week ago are now all about 6-8 inches tall. Now I know why they were sold as "Wonder Bulbs!"

Seriously!!! I wish! I tried bulbs in my tank and they did nothing for 3 weeks and I took them out and they stunk and were rotting. From now on only already grown plants!

29g Community

3g Betta

I never thought of that! I wasn't sure the plants would like it very much... And I can't order online because my parents say it's bad for the fish.

Fish get shipped all the time. How do you think they get to the LFS? Just have to make sure the temps are reasonable, but they'll survive :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Update! The tank is looking much more full now, and the aponogeten grew 14 inches in less than two weeks. I'm thinking of adding the barbs as soon as I can find any.

I found a different barb that is better! First of all, it is actually available online. Second, it is from the exact same river as the zebra danios! It is the hi fin headstander barb. Does anyone else have experience with it?

I think I will order 6 of them from wet spot tropical fish. Does that sound good? I'm so excited that I finally found something!

Very cool looking little fish. Love the hint of red. Will look very nice :)

Edit: looking at the wrong fish. It's silver body with yellow/black fins right? Very cool looking as well. Love the scale pattern.

29g Community

3g Betta

My wisteria was doing fine before, but now the largest one is flopping over and losing leaves. What is going on?

Could be a nutrient deficiency, are there any holes in the leaves?

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Back
Top Bottom