20 gallon college tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FallenRedeemer

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm taking my old 20 long up to college with me this year. Last year I only had a 10 gallon so I'm pretty excited for all the new possibilities. My setup will be sand bottom, marineland 150 that's good for up to 30 gallon tank, and a marineland led light. I'm going to have it planted with amazon swords and probably something else, not sure yet and am open to suggestions. Also will have a piece of real driftwood and a cave I built out of slate that is currently in my 55. I'll put a picture of the cave that im going to take from my 55. For stocking I am planning on having 1 clown Pleco, a school of cories (not sure how many yet), and a school of neon tetras (again not sure how many).
How many cories and tetras do you think I can have also any other thoughts and suggestions about decor or anything is appreciated.

Attachments

• image-482141642.jpg
    image-482141642.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 56
  • image-2048654609.jpg
    image-2048654609.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 59
  • image-3949279005.jpg
    image-3949279005.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 59
How many watts is the light you will be using on it? Amazon swords are medium light plants so I believe you would need a light that is 30-40 watts. Also, medium light plants need fertilization so that will be another expense. There are a bunch of cool low-light plants out there that would work and don't require a stronger light or fertilizers. Some low light plants are Java Ferns, Java Moss, Crypts, and Anubias.

I think in that size tank you should do either the pleco or the cories, but not both as that would be too many bottom feeders. I think for fish you could do 8 neon tetras and 5 zebra danios or glo-fish. Or, what would really look cool IMO would be a school of 10 neons and 8 harlequin rasbora. Or, 15 neons and 1 dwarf gourami.

I'll attach a pic of the box from the light. The ferts wouldn't be a problem. I have amazon swords in my 55 and have some already. In fact one of the just put out a shoot to grow move plants so I'll probably use those daughter plants if they will work in my 20. I could return my led light and get a dual fluorescent fixture instead if that would be better.

I really like the neon tetras and want them. I'm not a real fan of the gourami though.

Attachments

• image-3765502554.jpg
    image-3765502554.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 53
Wattage doesn't really matter. It's the type of bulb, how many and how high. Also the color plays in alittle. Stay away from 50/50 or acintic. 65k is supposed to be best.

Back
Top Bottom