20 gallon cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fish-In Tank Cycling

Hello Shanny...

Point taken. We don't want to abuse our fish. So, it's important that we stick to the rules for "Fish-In" tank cycling.

We use only strong, healthy fish. I used a 30 gallon tank and 8 feeder female Guppies from a reliable source and since I wanted to keep Guppies anyway, it worked well, because once the tank was cycled, I had fry in the tank and now the 8 I started with in 2006 are now into the 100s in several large, planted tanks. I had the benefit of activity in the tank right away.

Historically, Tiger Barbs, Lemon Tetras, Zebra Danios, Guppies, White Clouds and Platys are the least demanding of aquarium fish as far as water chemistry. So, we use them and monitor the water daily for signs of ammonia and nitrite. We change a quarter of the tank water every day if necessary, to keep the water as safe as possible for the fish and still grow our good bacteria. When several daily tests show no trace of NO or NO2, our tank is cycled.

The problems arise when we think we know more than we really do and put too many fish into the tank, use a tank that's too small, use the wrong fish and get sloppy in our tank duties.

B

Back
Top Bottom